Sign in to follow this  

RMZ 270 BigBore - 1 Year Ride Report

Well Folks,

It's been almost a year now with my 270 Big Bore and I'm happy to report that it still runs great.

Here's my setup for anyone interested:

1. Cylinder Works 270 BB kit (if you are considering a pipe, save if for the BB kit - it's hands down a better option)
  2. Stage 1 cams
  3. Vortex ignition

While you don't need all these components, in my experience, they all compliment each other. The real kicker and huge gain comes from running race gas. This is what makes this package lethel, as it allows all these add-ons to work in harmony - Just pure joy. While nothing comes free, the results are smiles -  ear to ear  - evertime I ride this bike.  At 100 years old, I'm no spring chicken, but without question, these mods REALLY work.

Edited by TT46
  • Like 1

nice! any issues with it?

zero....

Forget to mention the detent arm/spring assembly...Amazing how well that thing works!

• Like 1

TT46,

What settings do you have your Vortex set to....?

I just got mine in and installed.

Per the info.

I kept mine 5,5,5 and map to 1

I am running a 2013 with SS Yoshi complete exhaust carbon tip, k&n filter....

TT46,

What settings do you have your Vortex set to....?

I just got mine in and installed.

Per the info.

I kept mine 5,5,5 and map to 1

I am running a 2013 with SS Yoshi complete exhaust carbon tip, k&n filter....

Map 8...I have a modded motor and race gas.

zero....

Forget to mention the detent arm/spring assembly...Amazing how well that thing works!

What year is your bike? I've heard a lot about detent spring but that's for older models, right?

What year is your bike? I've heard a lot about detent spring but that's for older models, right?

nope. Any model your will benefit with a factory pro detent arm and spring.
  • Like 1

Sorry for my ignorance but what is the factory pro detent arm and spring?  Is this part of the decompression device on the cam to help start up?

Sorry for my ignorance but what is the factory pro detent arm and spring? Is this part of the decompression device on the cam to help start up?

no sir. The detent arm is a lever that is located in the transmission.

1447954782000.jpg

I am going to purchase the cylinder works 270 BB kit for my 2009 RMZ 250.

Any advice on jetting?

I ran the lean coupler on my standard RMZ 250, for the best responsiveness. Even with a pipe. The rich was gutless I felt. Best wheelies were with the lean.

With the Big Bore kit (CW270) I run the rich coupler for best wheelstanding power (Apparently 8% richer than the lean, which makes sense since the capacity is up 8% too). With the stock or lean couplers I lose power. 

I test the power by pulling 5th gear wheelies. The 270 does it so easy, even though I've dropped a tooth from the rear sprocket to 48. But when I went below the rich setting it lost it's mojo.

I've just bought a Fuel Controller to try going even richer still, which by all accounts is recommended. 

I'm also keen to try a set of stage 1 cams soon. :-) I want my power in the low and mid ranges. 

Edited by brenno