Sign in to follow this  

xt 225 what to look for

Hey so I found an xt225 on Craigslist, the kid's asking $500. He says that it smokes on startup but stops after about five minutes, the chain is loose, and its missing the plastic piece over the battery. No tag on the bike, he claims that it has never been titled. What do you guys think? Is there anything else I need to really look at on this bike? I'm not sure of the year yet but I'm thinking it's at least a 2000. Gonna check the air filter, also gonna look and see what the oil looks like. Any ideas?

Link to the pics

http://images.craigslist.org/00s0s_5nmbutuyUgW_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00y0y_5Tr8Ko9cJ7l_600x450.jpg

My buddy bought it for $340. It smokes like a chimney, chain slides all over the sprockets, shifter is partially unattached, oil leak, electrical shorts. 3400 on odometer is that enough to where it should smoke like crazy? Smokes like a two stroke. Or more.

On the upside, the motor seems to run strongly.

air box was clean and had a filter in it?   could be a combo of stuck rings  and bad valve seals for the smoking.

needs new chain and sprockets and a good clean up/going through at very minimum.

Yep, chain and sprockets for sure. 

The shifter is bad too. Some dingus tried to weld the shifter on there, and the grooves are worn on the shifting lever as well as the shaft that goes into the bottom end of the motor. So, gotta get that fixed. Wondering how much that will run. 

Also, can't figure out where/which number is the vin# on the bike to see what year it is so we can order parts. Where is the vin# and/or the manufacturer's sticker that would tell me the year?