Sign in to follow this  

Oregon Great places to dirt bike in Oregon?

I've always been attracted to the Northwest, specifically Oregon & Washington. Im a big dirt bike rider who currently rides/races (hare scrambles/enduros) often here in Northeast Pennsylvania. Im thinking of a vacation to the northwest & am wondering what areas/towns/cities have very good dirt biking around them. Bonus if they are located within an hr or so from the ocean. Ultimately Id like to move there. Any advice would be awesome & MUCH APPRECIATED!! Thanks. 

broome3.jpg

Tillamook State Forest has some decent riding and is near the coast.  

http://www.rideatvoregon.org/wheretoride/view/dsp_location.cfm?siteid=3

A lot of great places to ride in Oregon.  If you don't mind being far away from the coast.  The Bend area is really beautiful.

http://www.rideatvoregon.org/wheretoride/view/dsp_wtr.cfm

• Like 1

Just come to Tillamook.  Great trails 25 minutes from town and to some sand too, not great sand but it's fun non the less.  You can drop crab pots from the Geribaldi pier for something fun to do off the bike.  The fish peddler in bay city is fantastic and economical too.

• Like 3

TSF isn't my top pick ...mainly just because of the goons that ride there. no offense KcD

But

1) Hood river

2) Gifford (Washington)

3) East Fort Rock/China Hat  (Bend area that KcD noted)

4) Capitol Forest

5) Jones Creek

6) Diamond Mill

list goes for a while so I will stop but

There are many great places to ride in Oregon.  If you want to be close to the coast, the Hwy 6 stuff has something for everyone and a good map.  Browns Camp is very popular but too popular for me.  Diamond Mill is better for riders with some experience and who like a little solitude.  There are a few others in that area although I have not tried them.  Upper Nestucca is my favorite nearby place because the trails are great and you rarely see anyone except in the staging areas.  The map is currently out of print according to BLM-Salem and a new one is coming...someday.  Hood River is closed for fire season.  No big loss in my opinion.  It's very scenic and has some nice trails that are well marked but the North end is crowded with pedal bikers and they don't like motorized company.  The south end is nice but smaller than it looks on the map.  However a lot of people do like it.  I'm always looking for people to ride with...

Oregon;

Tillamook, brief sections of good trail with ample gravel road in between. You need to have a tour guide.

Bend, quad trails and dust. Some good singletrack but no one will tell you where it is and again it's normally loose dusty junk.

Few good mx tracks.

Dune riding for days.

Depending where you go in the state it's very seasonal, and honestly our neighboring states have much better trail riding.

Edited by TommyB 754
  • Like 1

I used to live in PA.  Not much riding areas unless you ride on private property from my experience or drive out to the state forest or pay a crap load for some private riding area.   Comparing riding in OR / WA against PA, you might say PA has never even heard of dirt bikes before :)

TSF is great area to ride and close to the ocean.  Diamond Mill, Trask and possibly Jordan Creek (all in TSF) are best for the more technical and single track riding and browns camp area is better for the wide open, easier trails along with more quad friendly and for 4x4s.  

There's sand lake that's near the ocean if you're not afraid of blowing your bike up by getting sand in the engine and all through your bearings. :)  I never ride there personally.  

• Like 1

I live in N/E Oregon lots of places to ride here in fact the county only has 3 paved roads into it and one of them isn't plowed in the winter-- :thumbsup::ride::thumbsup:  i did 150 mile ride round trip  into Hell's canyon yesterday :thumbsup:

Edited by USMCVietVet
  • Like 4

Lucky for me I live in the middle of the state, couple hour drive to bend, and a couple hour drive to southern dunes like Florence south, never ride sand lake its pretty much the litter box of Oregon dunes. And when I don't have time to head to either, out the shop I go and have a plethora of trails to choose from. Oregon is great, there's so much to do. Good luck on your ventures. BRAPPPP

• Like 1

I used to live in PA.  Not much riding areas unless you ride on private property from my experience or drive out to the state forest or pay a crap load for some private riding area.   Comparing riding in OR / WA against PA, you might say PA has never even heard of dirt bikes before :)

TSF is great area to ride and close to the ocean.  Diamond Mill, Trask and possibly Jordan Creek (all in TSF) are best for the more technical and single track riding and browns camp area is better for the wide open, easier trails along with more quad friendly and for 4x4s.  

There's sand lake that's near the ocean if you're not afraid of blowing your bike up by getting sand in the engine and all through your bearings. :)  I never ride there personally.  

where did you live in Pa? Im just wondering what section of the state your comparing it to. I live in the northeast (Scranton area) & there is some decent places (mostly rock/root) & a decent amount of riders... Excellent to know the scene is larger out there, Im def. seeking that.

Visit Portland and find some great dirt bike/atv tours in the area. If youre looking for locations and descriptions as well as some photos and footage check out the link for portland dirt bike rentals!

http://www.pdxdirtbikerentals.com

PDX Dirt Bike rentals started because of a passion for dirt biking and trail riding in Oregon. There are no other dirt bike rental businesses in the Portland area and the ones near the OHV sites take this into consideration by charging $350 per day per bike whereas we make dirt biking in Oregon affordable, easy, and simple. 

We here at PDX Dirt Bike rentals offer fun reliable dirt bikes with honest employees that provide exceptional customer service. We pride ourselves in our highly maintained bikes and affordable rentals so that anyone can enjoy the beautiful and numerous amounts of trails provided by the great state of Oregon.

We also offer jet ski and boat rentals on the Colombia river near Portland during summer seasons only (April - September). More information can be found @www.pdxwatersports.com

pdbpg.png

• Like 1