Sign in to follow this  

What is the electrical connector on my carb?

I just got a DRZ and I'm wondering what this electrical connector on the carb does? Never seen one before, and well just interested. Tried searching google but didn't come up with anything.

Thanks.

Jim - You leave us in the dark.  You should provide what model and year DRZ400 you have.  You also did not say where in the world you are located.  Not all DRZ's are the same.  All DRZ400 do have a throttle positioner (TPS) and some models and locations have other wires to the carb as well.

A TPS is quite common on street bikes and dirt bikes both 2 strokes and 4 strokes.

• Like 1

Hey big thanks for all the answers. Sorry mate, its a 2000, Drz s, from Europe and it looks like it is a tps I googled some pictures. I haven't been able to get the tank of yet as the hose joining the petcock and carb is tight and old so I'm waiting to get some more hose before I force it otherwise might have noticed the wire going to throttle. I'll read up a bit on it, drz is pretty much the newest bike I've ever had so must be a modern thing. Thanks again.

If there are wires to a valve mounted to the bottom of the carb, that controls power (slide height) in lower gears.  I believe it is called a "solenoid valve".  The wires near the top of the carb are the TPS.  In cold climates the carb may also have an electric heater to reduce carb icing.  A 2000 Euro spec DZ400S probably has only 1 hose to the petcock.  Is the petcock marked ON, OFF, RES.  Or ON, RES, PRI ?

Hey it's marked on off res yeah. As I understand it tps was for emissions and no big deal if you leave it unplugged. I was just interested because the battery is dying and when it goes the bike starts acting all weird and bogging down not accelerating on my old bike even if I took the battery out it'd run off the kick or bump no problem.

You have a manual petcock.  That's good.  You should turn it to OFF when the bike is parked.  Yes the DRZ400S likes to have a battery.  They will potentially run without one but not very well.  The TPS has nothing to do with drawing power from the battery

• Like 1

You have a manual petcock. That's good. You should turn it to OFF when the bike is parked. Yes the DRZ400S likes to have a battery. They will potentially run without one but not very well. The TPS has nothing to do with drawing power from the battery

Thanks, yeah I always turn my petcocks off when parked. I just thought the tps might be what makes it act all weird when e battery dies but I guess not. All the best.