Sign in to follow this  

Can't sleep before races...

Hi everyone,

Does anyone suffer from same problem? I get 2-4 hours of sleep the night before the race. The nerves just get me, and the thing I'm the most stressed about during the week is how I'm gonna get any sleep before the race... I've tried pretty much everything from meds to alcohol, but no cigar. Somehow I'm still feeling pretty sharp during the race next day, I guess adrenaline really is a powerful drug...

Any tips?

I have this stuff I take called rest ezzzeezzeze. I started taking it because it always takes me at least two hours to fall asleep on a regular night. One scoop in half a glass of almond milk (no real milk in my house) and I'm out within 30 minutes. The instructions say to start with two scoops but I did that once and slept right through all three of my work alarms, and an hour of my boss phoning me to ask where the hell I am hahaha.

Up here in the great white north you get it at Chinese herbalist stores. It's just pumpkin seeds and some other random nature stuff. Works like a charm.

Edited by D4N63R

Take your bike completely apart on Friday.  Leave it apart until 8PM Saturday.  Stay up all night putting it back together, load-up and go straight to race. 

• Like 3

If you feel fine the next day then why fight it? Just accept it as part of the game. The same thing happens to me when I have big fishing trips coming up and I have to get up at the crack of dawn the next day. Whether it's the wife finding last minute chores for me (never fails) or simply just can't sleep due to excitement. At first I use to get mad at my wife or at myself for not going to sleep earlier and getting more rest. Then I realized I'm fully energized even with only two hours of sleep. Now I just accept it and sometimes even take advantage and get other stuff done during that time LOL. I gut a full nights rest every other day. 

Happens to me, also. I always get nervous to ride, in general. I am afraid to take anything to help me sleep, because I don't want to wake up and feel weird or that 'hung-over' type feeling like when you are sick. So I mostly just try to calm myself as best I can and remind myself that it isn't a big deal.

Stretch before bed for 10-20 min, try yoga if you haven't works really well to calm you down. Lack of sleep is common place before races even pro's talk about it, hell Shorty even says he has some vino some nights before races because it will calm him down.

As long as you're getting good rest during the week and aren't fading during your races from the lack of sleep I'd say you're fine...

• Like 2

I get crazy anxiety.. mostly the morning of.

I use herbal remedies for the night before and just try and keep it together the morning of.. I'm a big coffee drinker and I skip my morning caffein on race day. Just Gatorade or equivilant for mewith a somewhat healthy breakfast.

Have the same issues I rarely race but when I do I have a hard time sleeping... I go over all the race stuff in my head all night ... instead of sleeping LOL

This is the only thing that has worked and WORKED well... hits me like a loud of bricks and makes me sleep like a baby

images-12.jpeg

I get crazy anxiety.. mostly the morning of.

I use herbal remedies for the night before and just try and keep it together the morning of.. I'm a big coffee drinker and I skip my morning caffein on race day. Just Gatorade or equivilant for mewith a somewhat healthy breakfast.

Anxiety is a withdrawal symptom of your sig.  It happens the morning of because you are probably trying not to indulge before you race.  You will never get rid of the anxiety, perform to you potential or be truly happy until you stop.  I did it to control my anxiety until I figured out that it was also the cause.  I still do it once in a great while in very small amounts or I get paranoid from it.  I've been there and I feel great now.

• Like 2

Could be, who knows.. I'm hardly a pro, only a C-class rider and I ride both quad and bike events in both XC and MX (I only ride the close venues) and really only out for fun, so it's not really worth the advantage to me haha.

Though you'd think I'd get anxiety everymorning if that was the case.. I get anxiety just thinking about racing, no matter the time or my condition lol.

I watched a few things recently that were pretty cool explaining how the human mind works... Before you go to bed, or if you have any idle time, just sit back and picture yourself on the gate or the line. Pay attention to the small details and imagine yourself getting the wholeshot and riding like perfection. If you do this enough, your mind will subconsiously be prepared for those situations because it has 'lived' them already. 

It wasn't a Moto documentary, but it's all related!

• Like 1

Have the same issues I rarely race but when I do I have a hard time sleeping... I go over all the race stuff in my head all night ... instead of sleeping LOL

This is the only thing that has worked and WORKED well... hits me like a loud of bricks and makes me sleep like a baby

images-12.jpeg

I was gonna say NyQuil. Didn't even know ZzzQuil was a thing.

You DO NOT want to take NyQuil just because you should only take it when you are sick. Zzzquil on the other hand can be used all the time... I don't have enough $money$ to drink it before every trip to bed so I use it when I really want a good night sleep. before a race for instance ;)   

I had the same problem. My neighbour is a bio-chemist and told me to try this:

Buy a lettuce, a good healthy leafy one.  Place it between 2 slices of bread and eat it, or just eat a good handful of leaves before bed.

Lettuce contains similar chemicals to opium (or he said something along those lines).

Put me right to sleep, I've never been so awake for a race day when my alarm went off.    Seemed to help me a bunch

ya taking to much NyQuil will give you a buzz and make you hallucinate I don't think you want that when your racing. Edited by Speedy1210

You DO NOT want to take NyQuil just because you should only take it when you are sick. Zzzquil on the other hand can be used all the time... I don't have enough $money$ to drink it before every trip to bed so I use it when I really want a good night sleep. before a race for instance ;)   

ya taking to much NyQuil will give you a buzz and make you hallucinate I don't think you want that when your racing.

NyQuil does give me crazy dreams even in the recommended dose, so yeah. I only take it when I'm sick or have to fly somewhere. Now I see there's a better option to help me pass out on flights.