Sign in to follow this  

Inspection and service for 500 EXC with 300 hrs

I'm looking at a 2012 500 EXC with 15,000 miles and 300 hours. The wear is mostly from street riding. I'm coming from an XR400 that is low maintenance and lasts forever. What potential problems should I inspect for on the 500 EXC and what service should I perform to know it will be reliable and stay that way?

With an average of 50mph over 15,000 miles, I'll bet that the bike was ridden pretty hard. Has the engine ever been rebuilt? If not, it will require some work in the near future.

Love the bike, got one, and plenty of folks with that much time and no issues yet, but personally I'd be looking at another bike as there's plenty out there with much less seat time on them...unless the bike is a super ridiculous steal... IMO.

Haven't seen a used 500 EXC. Seen relatively good prices for XCW but don't want to deal with trying to license in CA. Pulled the trigger and bought it. Bike was clean, ran tight and had honorable owner. Price left room for rebuild and adding lots of extras before reaching lowest advertised price for new one. I'm not likely to put much time on it each season so may be awhile before I need to do anything.

What would be warning signs when motor approaching need for rebuild?

Price left room for rebuild and adding lots of extras before reaching lowest advertised price for new one.

Well there ya go! Congrats. Sounds like you got a smoking deal. If it ain't burning oil and smoking or knocking just keep doing regular maint and run it. I'd check the valves though unless you know they've been done already. The rebuild times in the manual are just cya for KTM, nobody is rebuilding anywhere near the stated intervals. Check/adjust the TPS, change the oil often, keep clean fuel in it, and have fun.

With an average of 50mph over 15,000 miles, I'll bet that the bike was ridden pretty hard. Has the engine ever been rebuilt? If not, it will require some work in the near future.

That's what the math says, and while that's possible, I would still think that it would be hard to average 50MPH over 15,000, unless you get on, get on the highway, ride at 70MPH to where you're going, get off and stop the bike immediately.

Is it possible that somehow the stock odometer has the circumference set off, and it's over reading the miles?

To the OP, when you first move the bike, what number comes up in the odometer?  IIRC, the "stock" number is 2205.  What does this bike say?

CADman_KS

Congrats on the new bike man. I am at 280 hours and 8500 miles  with my 2013 exc350-f and while I recently had a couple bottom end gears replaced, the entire top end looked great. We thew new piston rings in and called it good. Dealer did the work and said not to worry about a top end for a while and the bottom ends are designed for a lifespan of 26,000 hours. Not sure about that actualy number but I didnt notice any issues with the crank, rod, or bearings.

Edited by Redwood650

... Dealer did the work and said not to worry about a top end for a while and the bottom ends are designed for a lifespan of 26,000 hours. Not sure about that actualy number but I didnt notice any issues with the crank, rod, or bearings.

Man, that's a lot of hours. Even at 10 miles per hour that would be 260,000 miles!!! Something tells me the math doesn't quite add up there, but I hope that my bike lasts that long! ;)

CADman_KS

Man, that's a lot of hours. Even at 10 miles per hour that would be 260,000 miles!!! Something tells me the math doesn't quite add up there, but I hope that my bike lasts that long! ;)

CADman_KS

Yea it seems a tad high but the point I took from it was the fact that these bikes tend to wear very well given they are maintaned often.

Yea it seems a tad high but the point I took from it was the fact that these bikes tend to wear very well given they are maintaned often.

Yeah, I agree. Changing anything in the lower end at 150 hours like the manual says, seems a bit excessive...

CADman_KS

The 500 doesn't have a cush hub in the wheel to protect the transmission for pavement accel/braking like some dualsports. Could be excess output shaft wear on the splines.

One old-timer has over 35K on an '05 450 EXC - most of it pavement miles / solid sprocket. He uses plain Mobil 1 for oil changes, and blew off most the rest of maintenance I do. It's still running.

Edited by Burnrider

The 500 doesn't have a cush hub in the wheel to protect the transmission for pavement accel/braking like some dualsports. Could be excess output shaft wear on the splines.

It does have a "cush" hub in the clutch though.  That should help...

CADman_KS

I feel a lot better knowing there are other high hour motors still running strong. I haven't checked the odometer setting yet but the prior owner did run 17" motard wheels for street so if its not set correctly i figure that's about 3,000 less miles.

One old-timer has over 35K on an '05 450 EXC - most of it pavement miles / solid sprocket. He uses plain Mobil 1 for oil changes, and blew off most the rest of maintenance I do. It's still running.

I wonder how many pistons he went through.