Kawasaki Kfx 400 more power help?

Hello , I just bought a 2006 Kawasaki kfx 400 for 1.7k runs good nothing is wrong only need couple adjustments.

I have a question about the power.

How do i get more power out of it? 

its basically stock except the rims and carburetor and i wanna beat my friends heavy modified 400ex. he payed 3.7k for his 2005 honda 400ex and i think he got ripped off.

We both go the same speed because he got K&N air filter and exhaust and other stuff .

Your answers would help me out thanks!

If you haven't already I'd check the valve clearance and change all the fluids just for peace of mind before you mod it.

Once that's out of the way you can get an exhaust for it, take the air box lid off, rejet the carb. If that still doesn't do it you can get cams, big bore kits, etc.

Mod for mod your KFX will be ahead if both riders have equal skill.

Your 400 will get a nice boost of power from correct jetting after an airbox mod and exhaust. The gearing is a bit low so I would add a tooth on the front sprocket after the intake/exhaust mod. You will gain several mikes per hour and go through the gears a little faster too. Certainly enough to beat your buddies.

• 5 weeks later...

If you haven't already I'd check the valve clearance and change all the fluids just for peace of mind before you mod it.

Once that's out of the way you can get an exhaust for it, take the air box lid off, rejet the carb. If that still doesn't do it you can get cams, big bore kits, etc.

Mod for mod your KFX will be ahead if both riders have equal skill.

Great advice! Ditto on the air box / lid, re-jet. No need to spend the money on a K&N air filter. Losing the lid and re-jetting with stock air filter will result in a real HP gain. K&N on a motorcycle or ATV is money well wasted.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Hey I was wondering which exhaust I should buy for my 03 kfx 400 I have a FMF q4 but I don't like it the stickers on the pipe r coming off and it just to quiet I want something a little louder like 100 dB's around their but still looking to get quite a big power difference out of it I was looking at the ct sonic would it be worth buying or what exhaust should I get