Sign in to follow this  

To motard or not to motard

The prodigal son is back to the XR400. I abandoned it completely in the last year but I missed it a lot. A friend of mine has sold me for very cheap, two motard wheels which he used for his old XR. It was such a good deal that I couldn't resist, even if I would never put them on the bike. 

The question is quite simple - to motard or not to motard. I have metzeler dual sport wheels which I really like. I do not mind feeling on a high chair - it has its perks. But I miss the cornering of a motard. I use the roads almost 90% of the time, but I would like to have the occasional light trail fun (or pavement jumping!).

Thoughts please!

If you already have the spare set, it sounds like a no-brainer to me. The hard part is done. What is the turn-around time, like 9 minutes? If you get the itch, swap it back. Do it!

The wheels are not a direct swap. I need to fabricate a spacer, but that will be arranged soon. Eventually I will request the machinist to fit them in a way that I can swap back and forth.

Thanks for the insight ;)

If you're 90% street, then yes, you want the motard wheels. :)

The lower seat height and the additional stickiness and width of rubber make it much nicer for sure.