Sign in to follow this  

Front Brake Relocation problem!

I got this ;

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/aftermarket/XP-4052592.html

I noted couple of times that my bike is SM and the bracket should change the caliper from 310mm to 320mm.

As a result (my service called me now) the bracket didn't fit as I expected. And repairman told me bracket is too big, the caliper hit wheels when it is installed.

Bracket is just like this and its code was EBC-BRK024 (when I got it, I checked)

dk1908599.jpg

Now I don't know what to do, how I will make an objection to refund etc...

But I wonder, does anybody know the real EBC bracket code for 2007 DRZ400-SM ?? (upside down forks...)

All that I come up with is this fit DRZ400S.  I can not find a bracket for 400SM.  Maybe you do not need a relocation bracket to go from 310mm to 320mm rotor.

Read this link:

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?146878-TECH-ALERt-DRZ-EBC-Kit-Brackets-are-messed-up-from-factory

Basically it states "Just an FYI if you are trying to wrap your head around why your brand new EBC Supermoto Brake kit SM6017C does not fit your bike, EBC did a part number change giving the traditional kit part number of SM6017C to the DR350, however, the actual Distributors for the part didn't note the change and their catalogs are still showing SM6017C for the DRZ400/E/S so we and your shop are still sending out Part SM6017C which is the same rotor, but not the same bracket (BK024) and won't fit your bike, or at least won't fit safely and could potentially be really dangerous. The bracket in there is for the 350. How many 350 supermoto bikes do you know on on the road? Not many.  The updated part number for the DRZ is supposed to be SM6017/1C with a bracket number BK038."

You could try to find the older SM6017LD kit that comes with the DRZ bracket BRK038.  Just watch out that when you order it the dealer just doesn't send you a SM6017C kit instead.  I know that from experience.  Contacted EBC Brakes and they don't deal with the public.  Still haven't gotten the right kit yet either.

• Like 1

Read this link:

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?146878-TECH-ALERt-DRZ-EBC-Kit-Brackets-are-messed-up-from-factory

You could try to find the older SM6017LD kit that comes with the DRZ bracket BRK038.  Just watch out that when you order it the dealer just doesn't send you a SM6017C kit instead.  I know that from experience.  Contacted EBC Brakes and they don't deal with the public.  Still haven't gotten the right kit yet either.

Great,  :thumbsup:  It is great that I learned this but I think a little bit late :/ Anyway, I will get contact with seller according to this info, may be they can send the right thing. And I read your review on amazon :)

All that I come up with is this fit DRZ400S.  I can not find a bracket for 400SM.  Maybe you do not need a relocation bracket to go from 310mm to 320mm rotor.

I can't agree. I don't know how safe it will be with original caliper position but on the other hand there will be no performance gain theoretically. 

Edited by Syanur

I can't agree. I don't know how safe it will be with original caliper position but on the other hand there will be no performance gain theoretically.------Can't agree with what?  I only suggested that maybe a relocation bracket was not needed and that is the reason you can't find one. Something for you to check out.  But you are right, without a relocation bracket the sweep area is the same and there would be no advantage.  Does not make sense that EBC sells an oversize rotor but no bracket to fit.  The EBC website seemed pretty useless.  What about a Brembo caliper?

I know this doesn't answer your question but why do you need a 320mm rotor? You'd be better off just doing stainless lines and keeping the 310mm rotor IMO.

bingo

• Like 1

Can't agree with what?    What about a Brembo caliper?

You said may be we don't need a relocation bracket for from 310 to 320mm. That's what I can't agree ;) 

What do you mean Brembo caliper ?? Do Brembo have relocation brackets? 

This brings me another idea, Why do we need ebc bracket only? Other brands,  which have 320mm rotors for 400-SM may have relocation brackets too.  :thinking:

I know this doesn't answer your question but why do you need a 320mm rotor? You'd be better off just doing stainless lines and keeping the 310mm rotor IMO.

I got this bike ~2 months ago. Front rotor is worn a bit (due to using with extincted pads I think) and there is gap between inner and outer part connections of rotor which causes small movement in rotor itself. So I decided to renew it  and I saw oversized rotor is cheaper than oem and 10~15$ more than replacement rotor. 

But when I checked my friends 400-SM, which he bought couple weeks ago with full oem brake system, I said there is no need to an oversized rotor, the problem is my worn rotor....OEM brakes are really good enough.

Just went through this on my SM. Ordered the EBC 320 rotor (which is almost twice as thick as the stock rotor) which came with a Braking p0w02 relocation bracket.

That bracket was almost useless, as it spaced the caliper out too far by about 5 mm. So basically, I was wasting 5 mm of usable pad.

Ended up using a Braking p0w13, which dropped my pads right where I wanted them. had to file about .5 mm of material at the top opening of the bracket where the rotor would just get a "wipe" of aluminum on it under hard braking. I now have full pad contact.

Here's the best picture I have right now that shows pad to rotor seating marks.

Deezer20_zpscfa5e80b.jpg

20140712_094307_zpsqchibkbw.jpg

Combined that setup with a set of EBC  EPFA185HH pads. 

Edited by Davinci

How I missed this topic ;

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?32900-Need-Confirmation-Braking-320mm-Rotor-Upgrade

The guy dvs_in10t will go to heaven when he die for sure  :thumbsup:

As a result POW13 will be the best and "Braking pads" are little tricky (bec they are small).

The truth is no need to go with 320mm and deal with this problems... For a little better performance.

And most interesting(shocking) thing is; there is no proper produced bracket for SM+320mm rotor anyhow  :thumbsdn: