Sign in to follow this  

Refilling Nitrogen in Shock

I'm getting together the parts I need to refill my shock with nitrogen.  If any of you are using a 20 cu.ft. gas cylinder, about how many times are you able to service shocks before needing to re-fill the tank?

I'm getting together the parts I need to refill my shock with nitrogen.  If any of you are using a 20 cu.ft. gas cylinder, about how many times are you able to service shocks before needing to re-fill the tank?

hundreds of times

That depends though how much pressure you initially have in ur tank!

Mine goes to 3000psi

For a diy guy they last forever

we use nitrogen to fill race car tires on a race car I work on... I think we get at least 20 tires from a full size at 3000psi, and that's after purging each set 2-3 times... its all about volume buddy, and 3000psi, filling a minute volume to 150-175 is nothing. you will lose more from hose bleedoff than you will from filling shocks.

How much pressure do you fill in the shocks? ex. a wr400? :)

Edited by Ro9

I built my own DIY system, with the Nitrogen tank (20 Cu Ft - full Nitrogen) arriving tomorrow.  Total it cost about $300 which includes the Schrader Zero Loss air chuck and a Motion Pro Needle Air Chuck (not pictured).  I did everything in 1/8" NPT, so the quick connects are pretty small (Paintball Equipment).  The weakest parts are the blue translucent hose and the pressure release button (both 300 psi).  Since I won't be going over 180, I don't see any issues.  If any of you want a complete listing of the parts and links, I can provide that.  You may be able to save some $$ here and there.  I'm guessing I could have got a Nitrogen cylinder at a local company for less.  I tried one and he said the smallest he had was a 55 Cu Ft cylinder which was way more than I needed and I already bought a little carry/stand for the small bottle (I didn't include that in the above listed cost because I doubt many people would buy or need it).  Here's some pics:

IMG_20140821_153721-1.jpg

IMG_20140821_153713-1.jpg

IMG_20140821_154421.jpg

IMG_20140821_154428.jpg

Edited by mch
  • Like 1