Sign in to follow this  

I'm going to order the 351 kit for my KLX300. What else should I do?

Hi fellas. I'm going to order Bill Blue's 351 kit for my 2005 KLX300. What else should I order while I've got it apart? Timing chain? What else do I need gasket wise?

I'm planning on doing some mild porting and polishing. I've got the bits for porting my heads on my LQ4 turbo truck project. What I can't seem to find is pictures of a ported head or anyone that ported their head themselves.

I want as much low end torque as possible. I've also got the 36-38 carb, head pipe and all the free mods.

While I've got it apart I'm not opposed to some mild head work but I don't want to spend $700 on the head. I don't have it apart yet so I don't know what the condition if the valves are or anything. Is it worth it to install new valve seats, retainers, and +1mm intake valves? I can't imagine the machine work for new seats would cost too much.

Or, is this just a point of diminishing returns? Usually port/polish is high rpm stuff. While that's great and all, I'm really after TT500 like, off idle, wheelie-ing torque. I can dream right? LOL

Anywho, I'd love any wisdom/advice.

Thanks!

Look at my build thread. I had a shop do the porting. Cost me less than $100.

I don't know what the individual things do and which had the most effect as i did my mods all at once. I will say the bike is amazing. So much that i decided to do my fork swap as I outroad my suspension very quickly.

My engine mods

340 kit (was installed just didn't know)

FSW header

Port and polish head

37mm FCR pumper

Awesome! I dropped the check in the mail today.

I've already done a new head pipe/stock muffler, 36-68 pumper carb, all the free mods, shift star, kx fork swap, rear spring swap for my weight, tall seat, lower gearing, tall handle bars, etc.

I'm after low end torque. I'm not opposed to working on the head, but don't want to sink tons of money into it. I'll examine it when I have it apart and see if I need new valves/guides. Probably clean up the factory casting a bit. I don't know if it's worth it for +1mm valves.

Here's my beast.

F05ABB4B-707D-47EC-B9CC-3C286CD8BB09_zps

D4FAE60F-194A-4B14-B4A0-1309A87FB775_zps

Should I order the next size up main jet and pilot jet? I think I'm running a 130 and 15 currently.

Which carb are you using? You'll need to rejet. However I can't really tell you where. I have a very good friend that does all my jetting, or at least what changes to make based on how its running.

I did not go larger valves. I just port and polished the head. I still have great bottom and a seemingly endless top. Mine flows great. I'm waiting for our local shop to fix their dyno so i can make some passes.

I'm using the 36-68. I'm running a 130 main and 15 pilot. I ordered a 135, and 140 main jets and I've got 12.5, 15, and 17 pilot jets. I hope between all of those I'll be able to dial it in. I'm about 500 feet above sea level but ride in the hills quite often.

So mikuni. Do they have a leak jet? On mine he fiddled a bunch. Its still not perfect. I need to lean it out a little. But my carb is so hard to get off it'll have to wait for my frame swap. Thats when I'll be doing my removable subframe.

You will need to do something.