Sign in to follow this  

Xr600r does this bike look like it has an oil cooler?

I don't want to sound like, an idiot but the PO said it had an oil cooler and took 3 quarts of oil, and I look,end it over and see no cooler and I'm pretty sure I only pulled out 2 quarts the first time but not 100% sure cause I spilt a lot cause I didn't know how fast the frame reservoir drained lol. But anyways I did a second oil change with 2 quarts 10w40 quaker state and it doesn't seem to show on the dip stick unless its running and then its only half full still, why? Should I add a 3rd quart? I Don't want to blow my seals, can you guys see anything I'm missing? Its a 1994 xr600r street legal. Would appreciate help, thank you. And I wanted to ask why in the world are there wires connecting the frame to my rear brake and shifter lever? You can see in pics

1408045871386.jpg

1408045888016.jpg

1408045952929.jpg

I don't see an oil cooler anywhere, even under the headlight. The PO was probably referring to the frame as being an oil cooler, it's not unheard of and there have been a few discussions about the viability of the frame being able to remove heat from the oil.

The reason for the frame oil tank was because a dry sump oiling system needs some type of external oil tank, and some reasons for a dry sump oiling system is less windage (parasitic power loss due to crankshaft slapping around in a lot of oil) and more ground clearance because the bottom of the engine case doesn't need the extra room for oil.

The cables on the brake and shifter levers are to keep things like sticks from getting between them and the engine side covers and damaging the levers. The idea is that the cables deflect things outward. Have you ever seen a peeled back shifter or brake lever because of a stick, vine or small tree? That's why. They may help in rocks to, but it's mostly for the woods.

• Like 1

Look behind the headlight ......right at the steering head area where the bearings are,is there a cooler there?????????..can`t see that area in your pics..follow the oil lines up..if they go into the bike frame then there is no cooler..

check the oil after running it for about ten minutes.......engine must be OFF.....and upright ,not on the side stand..check the oil immediately after shutting the bike off..top up if necessary..

My bike has an oil cooler and takes roughly 2  1/2  quarts of oil.....you shouldn`t need anymore than that..without the cooler i was still close to 2  1/2 quarts..the cooler takes very little oil,and stays full after draining the engine and frame..

B

• Like 1

Ok thanks guys, very much appreciated. I figured the cables played a role, just did t know what. Seems like somebody set this bike up pretty good, just the owner I got it from seemed to not take care of it well, but didn't ride much, lived in city.

Look behind the headlight ......right at the steering head area where the bearings are,is there a cooler there?????????..can`t see that area in your pics..follow the oil lines up..if they go into the bike frame then there is no cooler..

It would be visible in the first picture, but all that is there is the frame. An OEM type oil cooler would be in that open space just below the headlight, that is what that space if for, even though the XR600R never got one. The XR250R and XR400R did. Those coolers sit right in that space on a tab welded just above the lower bearing and bolted to the sides of the frame.

Some people have used a XR400R oil cooler, which is a couple rows thicker than the XR250R cooler, but even Scott Summers used a XR250R oil cooler on his race bike. Maybe the XR400R hadn't came out yet, but still...

The early XR250R wet sump engines had an oil cooler and the later dry sump XR250R engines didn't. It's a popular mod for the XR250L, which uses the early wet sump engine. The wet sump XR250R was pre 1991 at least, as I rode a 1990 XR250R and it was a wet sump.

The OEM coolers are a stacked plate, low pressure loss design as opposed to the more common tube and fin design. Compared to the tube and fin types, a stacked plate oil cooler exposes the oil to more surface area and impedes flow less.

Exactly what I was hoping for. Looked behind the plate an there's nothing so the last owner was either just an idiot or full of shit. Might get a xr400 cooler, thanks guys

Edited by 600thumper
  • Like 1

Is the case saver mising around countershaft sprocket?

Yup, got a 15 toother on there, was gonna grind and put back on but the PO put some silicone shit where the wires come out and theres no room for the saver u fortunatly

Edited by 600thumper

A XL600R sprocket cover will bolt right on. It will keep the wires protected.

A XR650L cover will bolt on with a spacer for the top bolt.

• Like 1

nope, the oi cooler should be under the headlight and there are no oil pipes along the down-tube. 

My previous XR250R had one right there though. 

• Like 1