Sign in to follow this  

CRF250 Starting/Running Issues

Hey guys, this is my first post so be nice haha

I recently bought a 2009 CRF250R with 140hrs on the meter and a rebuild at 120.

The thing is near impossible to start cold (its fine once its warmed up). It shows a lot of signs of running too lean including popping on decel, surging revs and getting hot. I pulled the carb out and found that the slow jets been changed to #48 which at sea level and 18C i thought it would make it run rich. The main jet is #178 and the main needle is at the 3rd position.

I'm just wondering if anybody has any thoughts on what could be causing this? Next on the list is a compression test to see how the valves are!

Check the valve clearences. Do a leak down test. Do noit bother with a compression test.

Decel popping can be a result of a leaking exhaust, bad packing, or simply coasting on a bike with an open pipe.

Surging sounds like a poorly setup carb, too hot is normal, these bikes are designed to never go under 20 mph. 200+ radiator and 240 degree oil is the norm.

Yes, a 48 pilot is too large, a 45 or 42 probaly is more correct. But, check the health BEFORE you try to twek the jetting.

Assuming the valves are in spec. Hard to start when cold is too lean on the pilot circuit, as is decel popping. Try opening up your fuel screw 1/4 turn at a time and retest. This is an easy fix