Sign in to follow this  

Anyone ever seen wear like this on a piston?

Just had my cyclinder plated, this is what the piston looked like after less than 9 hours of use.   Everything was new and they were supposed to have matched the piston to the cyclinder.

20140805_144757.jpg

Are we looking at grooves here, or is that just the camera?  Also, how does the cylinder look?  Why is the piston out after 9 hours of use?  

Are we looking at grooves here, or is that just the camera?  Also, how does the cylinder look?  Why is the piston out after 9 hours of use?  

Looking at the stripes in what would be the vertical direction and the wear at the top and bottom of the piston.  There is also a flat spot on the piston where the exhaust bridge is.  The cyclinder looks fine, cross hatching is there and everything looks good.  I've always used cast pistons and never seen a piston look so worn before.

Looking at the stripes in what would be the vertical direction and the wear at the top and bottom of the piston.  There is also a flat spot on the piston where the exhaust bridge is.  The cyclinder looks fine, cross hatching is there and everything looks good.  I've always used cast pistons and never seen a piston look so worn before.

I see the stripes.  Those can be normal discoloration, or they can be wear.  It is impossible to tell from a picture taken at this angle to know, which is why I asked.  In other words, it is more important what it feels like than what it looks like.  Even more important that the cylinder looks good.  I am wondering what the issue is.  Did you have lack of compression, or some other reason to pull the piston out?  

• Like 1

2nd gear was popping out so I had to take the motor apart.  I suspect that the cylinder is too big for the piston but I have never run Wiseco pistons before only OEM.

2nd gear was popping out so I had to take the motor apart.  I suspect that the cylinder is too big for the piston but I have never run Wiseco pistons before only OEM.

Okay, so it wasn't a failure, just an observation.  No such thing as a bad question.  There is a spec for piston clearance in your manual.  Simple enough now that you have it a part to take it to a shop and have them measure, if only for peace of mind. Some people don't like Wiseco pistons.  Some do.  I am sure you are not asking for an opinion of the piston itself, just whether it is the right size for the bore.  That is measurable.  Might as well have it measured.  I would be interested to hear what you find out, and if it is out of spec, I would imagine the folks who did the work will probably make it right.  Good luck.

That is where the piston is traveling through the hottest part of cylinder. The ex bridge expands a bit and will show wear in that area 1st. I usually drill out holes 1 size bigger and chamfer the edges real well. This coats the bridge better reducing heat and expansion= less wear here.