First time XR owner, have?

I just bought this beauty but have never had one and new to this site and my searching hasn't found what I'm looking for. How much oil does it take? What oil do people recommend? Any other bits of info and advice would be great. I'm about to dig into the carb. It runs but I don't know how long it was sitting. I believe it's a 1981 Xr80?

image.jpg

Order a Factory Honda OEM shop manual from E Bay first.

Most of your answers can be located there.

Shell Rotella from Wall Mart for the engine oil. (White 4 qt Jug) is the best price (15-40)

Check oil with the dip stick un-screwed... (If checked with it screwed in, your oil will be too low)

Order a Factory Honda OEM shop manual from E Bay first.

Most of your answers can be located there.

Shell Rotella from Wall Mart for the engine oil. (White 4 qt Jug) is the best price (15-40)

Check oil with the dip stick un-screwed... (If checked with it screwed in, your oil will be too low)

Do the older XR's like that Diesel oil?  I use it in my Suzuki GS850, I'm told the extra zinc is great for those older engines.  Hadn't thought about it for dirt bikes though.  I've got 2 bottles of full synthetic 10-40 sitting on my bench though, might just put that in my son's XR80 til next oil change seems I paid $7 a quart for it a year ago and never used it.

Edited by Jeepfreak81

So I put fresh oil in it, adjusted the valves the intake one was all the way tight. And I adjusted the cam chain, I'm not sure what I was doing so I tightened it just a bit. How do you know when they are adjusted correctly? Also changed the fork oil, I bought new fork seals but I am going to wait till I try the bike out first. Cleaned the carb dumped out old gas. The bike started up and ran good and I didn't notice any smoke. Also a new seat cover and a wash. Going to get it dirty tomorrow!

I ordered maeir side covers for it and the were way too red and looked bad. Does any one know where to get the right color side covers?

I've done engine rebuilds but never changed fork seals so I can't speak to what tools you need.  I think it depends on the bike.  I know on my GS850 I can pop the seals by putting air in the valve and change it that way.  Somebody more experienced with suspension will have to answer that for you.

I have never done a top end before and might use this bike as my first. Also I was going to change the fork seals do I need any special tools?

these forks are super simple and really you shouldnt "need" any special tools to change them out. just clean everything up well and ensure you dont ruin new seals when sliding them in (i use a little oil or grease to ensure they are lubed up prior to installing new seals). I find an impact works well to get the bolt on bottom out without the whole inside spinning...other than that = easy. I used ATF to refill, not sure what honda calls for but i find atf works well and is reasonably priced

Fork Seals...

Buy new seals if you like, install and won't leak for sure.

Or... disassemble the forks, clean the seals, reassemble... 99% of the time won't leak.

I do this all the time, rarely are new seals needed.

Forks take 3 oz oil each fork, I use ATF

This is an easy job, takes 1/2 hr max.

Good luck