Sign in to follow this  

Riding Disasters

Share a story of when a riding day went horrible like a bad wreck or you got yourself into some position you can't get out of or even just one of those days were nothing went your way.

I have one to share, about a year ago my stepbrother, my friend and I were riding and we come across this gnarly hill climb. Well you know what happens next you just have to be cocky and try it. Well I did and on my way up the bike decided to do a wheelie and flip completely back with me on it. Being the complete dumba$$ I am I go for it again. This time on the way up hit a hidden stump and I'm flung over the bars into the dirt, the bike had it even worse. The bike tumbled down the hill breaking the clutch lever, losing all its gas and when i pick it up i find the handlebars are almost completely sideways.

This probably isn't bad at all compared to some of yours but this is the worst recently that I can remember.

Went riding with some buddies out at our spot, wooded. Decided I'd show off through a straight away section, hit a rut/bump something and thus grabbed a handful of throttle. Bike went flying over the berm into the trees/woods, I went with it as well, the whole time I was thinking I'm gonna die, here we go. Saw the trees vast approaching, next thing woke up could barely breath, knocked myself out, tried to get up couldn't walk or stand for more than a few seconds, friends came running like crazy, thinking I was dead, a foot to the right and I would have impaired myself on a snapped tree, got lucky. Bike was fine, handlebars fine, had a stick/branch through the front number plate and bent front fender but otherwise the yami was perfect. 8 months later after x-rays, knee drains, mri's and physical therapy (4 partial tears and severe bone bruising/bleeding) Im back on the bike. Ever since then I've been apprehensive when riding, always stick to comfort zone, within my well personal limits, which also hinders me from advancing as a rider, but for me its my weekend therapy so never giving it up. Sitting here on the couch now nursing some knee pain from endoing over the step up at Etown. 

Went racing this past August 3rd (also my birthday). Throttle stuck wide open in third gear on the CR500. Looped out and broke my back rather severely. I've lost feeling in about half of it. I'm out of commission for quite a while...

Crash video:

My new hardware (permanent):

Hardware1_zps75c074ff.jpg

• Like 2

Went racing this past August 3rd (also my birthday). Throttle stuck wide open in third gear on the CR500. Looped out and broke my back rather severely. I've lost feeling in about half of it. I'm out of commission for quite a while...

Crash video:

Holy crap dude. So sorry, hopefully quick healing. Quite a trooper there! 

• Like 1

Quite a trooper there! 

Walked off the track with a fractured T-2, 3, 5, 6, and a broken T-4. Didn't go to the hospital until Tuesday morning because I thought it was just muscle pain.

And yes, I do smoke cigars and shave with a straight razor.  :cool:

• Like 6

Not particularly terrible, but keep in mind I was probably 9 or 10 when this happened.

There's some pretty rough woods behind my uncle's cottage. We've made a decent system of trails given the acre and a half that we have to work with. The main vein of the system goes through what is usually a small pond/puddle. Whether there's standing water or not, it's damn muddy. Was putting around back there with the '69 Honda 50 scooter, decided to make a run though the mud (why not??). Bad idea. That rear tire was practically a slick already, and I made it probably about halfway through the mudpit. Bike stalled, kickstarter is broken too (still hasn't been fixed since the 70s) and I was nowhere near strong enough to bump start it in the woods.

Had to push it through everything in that trail. I thought I was gonna die and never ride again haha. Made it home and was all kinds of shook up. Oh well.

Walked off the track with a fractured T-2, 3, 5, 6, and a broken T-4. Didn't go to the hospital until Tuesday morning because I thought it was just muscle pain.

And yes, I do smoke cigars and shave with a straight razor.  :cool:

And you ride a CR500

• Like 1

Crash video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT5Qilxi9m8

Thanks for sharing your story and hope you get better soon.  Scary stuff right there.  Glad you made it off that track.

• Like 1

Crash video:

Oh wow i hope that heals okay and won't be too painful. I've never done something that bad but i had my throttle stuck wide open rammed my stepbrother while he was on his bike. I had to wear a brace(for a torn ACL) and couldn't ride all summer but that still isn't even close to what you did.

Edited by norris18

Crash video:

Sorry to read about this. Didn't AP break his back from a stuck throttle? Any chance to diagnose your throttle issue yet? Get well.

Sorry to read about this. Didn't AP break his back from a stuck throttle? Any chance to diagnose your throttle issue yet? Get well.

Yea, I think he broke his T-12. I don't remember exactly, but I know that that thread is still on the forum. Haven't been able to take it apart yet....

Edited by DirtRider500R

I wasnt there but i hear the story all the time from my ridin bud. He was up at tin cup w his son and his friend warming up his 150sx, he say je turned around to grab his helmet and gloves or something and his sons friend takes off on the bike , 5 mins later the kid comes screaming down this big ass hill going full whiskey throttle hanging off the back in classic form ,blasts right through the parking lot into some gnarly thick ass woods

He ended up poking out an eyeball, breaking his neck and trashed the front end of the new ktm. Hes fine now but i guess almost blind in one eye.

Edited by bin007

... the bike had it even worse. The bike tumbled down the hill breaking the clutch lever, losing all its gas and when i pick it up i find the handlebars are almost completely sideways.

Wow!  Couldn't possibly get any worse than that!  "Almost completely sideways"???  The horror!

• Like 1

Wow!  Couldn't possibly get any worse than that!  "Almost completely sideways"???  The horror!

hahaha not that bad but when you're thirteen and not allowed to work 70 bucks is a lot if money

note to self; If I be laying on the ground looking up at the medic asking me if I want a lift to the hospital..shake head up/down..for yes please!

Hope you recover well man.

I fractured my jaw in three places once.

Nowhere near as bad as that guy up there^^^

I can't afford to really break either of my arms, back, or hurt my eyes. Too much shit to do and it'd screw up school and work.

Get well man.

Crash video:

Wow. Fn crazy. It blows my mind how people can break there back and still get up and walk around. Heal up fast brother. How fast do you think your crash was ? That 500 accelerted from 20 to 80km in 4 seconds is what it looked like. Also what a shitty b-day. It could have been worse i guess. Lucky for sure. Heal up quick ! Edited by IntoTheVoid

Wow. Fn crazy. It blows my mind how people can break there back and still get up and walk around. Heal up fast brother. How fast do you think your crash was ? That 500 accelerted from 20 to 80km in 4 seconds is what it looked like. Also what a shitty b-day. It could have been worse i guess. Lucky for sure. Heal up quick !

I'm guessing around 40mph (~65km). And I stopped in one full rotation, in less than 15 feet.

I'm guessing around 40mph (~65km). And I stopped in one full rotation, in less than 15 feet.

That video is hard to watch. Hope you have a full speedy recovery.