Sign in to follow this  

OK rebuilt 2013 rm-z250 after cracked case

As you guys might know, I had to completely tear down my engine and rebuild with a new case, bearings, seals, gaskets, rings, clutches basket, kick start gear, Vortex ECU, Chain.

CHeck out the vid:

http://youtu.be/hq4dcJWx41Q

Good job buddy! You have conquered this huge hurdle. Fog Yeah. That clacking sound may be normal, but it is loud no doubt. Bet that vortex was $$$$$

Now, call in from work and break dat mutha trucka in

Only time I see smoke after a rebuild is: moly assembly lube was used or synthetic oil used for break in. Drain the oil,get some rotella and ride it hard. The rings will most likely seat. If the oil ring is a clip too tight a that can do it too. Rings should be 180° of each other. Could be valve seals but I highly doubt it. Too low of hours and only time I have seen them go bad is high hours or bent valve. Watch coolant and oil levels and see how it goes. Engine sounds a little rattly. Sounds like the defompressor clacking. 4 things can cause this 1. Valve clearance on exhaust side is off 2.decompressor spring not on correctly 3. Low idle setting. 4. Cam chain slapping from either tensioner not holding right,too long cam chain or can chain guide not in right. Usually can pinpoint it by holding long screw driver or stethoscope up to head or cam chain side and wherever noise is coming from is the culprit. Mine knocked/rttled on startup after my case broke. It was the bearing for the idle gear that goes from clutch primary to oil pump. Sounded like it was coming from head but isolated it with mechanics stethoscope.

• Like 2

Listened again. Sounds like cam/cam chain noise. So hard to tell if its loud or if its just sound that is picked up easier from video.

ok, i found a day vid i made i will post. there is one thing i did forget to do. i didnt check the valve clearnce. i figured nothing changed so why bother.....Wold running it cause any problems before i find the issue or do you stronlgly feel this isnt normal?

I set the rings per the manual the differnt settings for the 4 rings. Made sure they where dialed in right. The smoke does go away after its operating temp.

I've had a 12 and a 13 250, both bikes did that until warm. Seems to be more pronounced with heavier base grade oil, like a 20/50 for eg.

It is I believe the thicker cold oil clinging to the bore wall, over powering the light rings these motors have, and as you rev the motor the top ring flexes one way and then the other quite quickly passing a little up into the chamber. Try 10/40 motul 5100, no syn oils and just let it idle up to temp, it is coming past the rings.

More pronounced with the Suzi than other 250's, may have something to do with crank design and or the amount of oil under the piston, but once warm, no problem.