Sign in to follow this  

CRF 450 engine sporadic engine clatter

I just did a valve job on my 05 CRF 450R and while at idle it has a sporadic clatter. Any suggestions? Cam chain. Valve adjustment. ?

Other tide bits

Running 93 octane

Valve clearance was good when I closed it up

Rebuilt carb

Watch "CRF 450 Engine clatter" on YouTube

CRF 450 Engine clatter:

Mr moto, is there a way to check it? Maybe bad spring or something? I have the stock tensioner and from what I can tell it either engaged or disengaged.

If you didn't retract the tensioning device during its installation process that could be your problem. The way you're describing it sounds like you didn't retract it, else you'd know how/what it does.

Tv, is there a way to keep the decom mech from moving freely. I just adjusted it down to. 13 mm because of a hard kick. Also I did leave a little bit of clearance on the valves thinking that after it ran for a bit they would seat a few mm. But we're talking like. 19 and. 18

Eddie, I used a flat head to release the pressure on tensioner, but when you pull it out it just springs back into position. I didn't see a way to make it any tighter

Sounds like you did it right, as long as you retracted it before you installed it. If you set your valve clearances too loose that'll make all sorts of noise. What did you set them to?