Sign in to follow this  

YZ250 - FMF Shorty - Spark arrestor - suggestion

Need to put in a spark arrestor on my 2000 yz 250 which has FMF fatty gold series with FMF Shorty silencer.

Not want to spend a lot now on this until i start a complete rebuild this winter. 

Have a trail ride coming up in couple of weeks with a meet up group here and want to have a spark arrestor by then. 

what are the option i have ?

1. buy one from rockymountain and jb weld it ?

2. buy a used silencer ?

3. any easy to remove and fit it back sprak arrestor that i could find so that i can remove it when i go to mx ?

4. any home made / diy solutions ?

thanks for the help.

I have the same bike and had the same problem. Did some research and there's nothing that can be added to a Shorty to make it legal. Even if there were aftermarket spark arrestors, its actually cheaper to buy a whole new silencer that's forrestry approved. If you're lucky you can find a good used one on craigslist. I got the Q on ebay for $130 free shipping, that's the route I would go.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408167830.946818.jpg

Any machinist friends? This took me about 15 minutes to program and 20 to setup and run on the CNC machine. Drilled and tapped two holes to keep it on the silencer and jammed screen door mesh in there to catch sparks and keep forestry off my back.

Give them the dimensions of your silencer and they should be able to whip up something similar to what I made. Even engraving it with "USFS Approved" would be easy.

I have an FMF TurbineCore 2 on my KX125 as well as my new-to-me YZ250. The YZ needs some work and I'm low on funds, so I'm riding the KX for now and daydreaming about what I'm going to do to the YZ once the finances are better.

The FMF spark arrestor does not use a screen and thus never clogs. It's not supposed to rob any power, either. I have always ridden with the TurbineCore 2, so I can't compare the power output with the Shorty vs. the TurbineCore 2. I can tell you the KX runs well!

I think finding a Turbinecore 2 or a Q is your best bet. No clogging, no power loss, and it's a legit USFS approved spark arrestor.

I know this is off topic, but I wonder how many forest fires have been started by a spark shooting out of a dirtbike exhaust. Spark arrestors are stupid.

Probably about the same amount of fires that are caused by pumping gas & talking on your cell phone. That's a law here in Massachusetts to help "protect" ourselves. :rolleyes:

How about power core 2? I am finding a used one in eBay for $50. Seems to be in good shape

That's a silencer only...

A few years ago, there were several wildfires sparked next to the freeway caused by a car with a faulty exhaust system that was spewing sparks. This was in SoCal, November 2008 and it was called the Freeway Complex Fire. No this wasn't a dirt bike, but it showed that the danger of wildfires from exhaust system sparks is real.

Rocker450WR can attest that screen-style spark arrestors can clog up and kill engine performance. The TurbineCore 2 uses a "bullet" style insert that does not clog, so there are no performance downsides. Once you've made the initial purchase, I think you'll be happy.

Edited by KevinTwoStk
  • Like 1

A few years ago, there were several wildfires sparked next to the freeway caused by a car with a faulty exhaust system that was spewing sparks. This was in SoCal, November 2008 and it was called the Freeway Complex Fire. No this wasn't a dirt bike, but it showed that the danger of wildfires from exhaust system sparks is real.

Rocker450WR can attest that screen-style spark arrestors can clog up and kill engine performance. The TurbineCore 2 uses a "bullet" style insert that does not clog, so there are no performance downsides. Once you've made the initial purchase, I think you'll be happy.

Thanks. i some how missed reading that its just a silencer. thanks for the reminder. i will go hunt for the q or the turbinecore.

• Like 1

Was this caused by the muffler being dragged, creating the sparks?

Or perhaps the catalytic converter was spilling out it's Plutonium?

Either way, I just can't imagine a motorcycle exhaust doing the same thing. But what do I know, I'm just a dirtbiker.

Either way, I just can't imagine a motorcycle exhaust doing the same thing. But what do I know, I'm just a dirtbiker.

It was a faulty catalytic converter. The fire burned 30,000 acres and destroyed 187 residential structures. Thankfully there were no fatalities.

Truthfully, I've never seen sparks coming out of a dirt bike exhaust. I suppose hot carbon particles could also start a fire in lieu of visibly glowing sparks.

Even though the chances are probably low, I would hate to be the point source of a wildfire. Once the fire starts you can't control the outcome anymore. A legit USFS-approved spark arrestor is an easy way to prevent potential fires and to not have to worry about trouble with Forest Rangers.

It's been a famously dry year in SoCal, and dirt bikers have a ton of political enemies around here: two reasons I use a TurbineCore 2.

• Like 2

I agree, If they require it, it's good policy to just run it. With a correctly engineered spark arrestor, you have no performance loss, so it's a no-brainer!

And I lived out in arid Montana for a few years, so I know just how dry things can get out West!!!

• Like 1

The Q Stealth has a broader spread of better power than the turbine 2, and so I assume the Q Stealth is also superior to the old Q. For $30 more the Stealth is the go.

Edited by numroe

Haha! Plutonium!?

Ended up buying a new turbine core 2 and going to install it tomorrow. now that i am changing from shorty to turbinecore 2, do you guys think i need to re jet ?

thanks

Ended up buying a new turbine core 2 and going to install it tomorrow. now that i am changing from shorty to turbinecore 2, do you guys think i need to re jet ?

thanks

Most likely no. I had the same bike with the same components. It had the stock jetting and I never had an Issue. You'll probably feel a little power loss going from the shorty to a turbine 2 but not enough, in my opinion, to go chasing a jetting problem. Ride it, see how it feels. My $.02