Sign in to follow this  

Looking for my first dirt bike.

Hello everyone my first post and my first question. So the last time I rode a dirt bike was '10, I borrowed my friends dirt dawg(ikr?) 125 chinese bike he got when he graduated 6th grade. I had ridden that bike for a number of years when I went over to and was able to borrow it for 4 months in 2010. So I am not completely new to dirt bikes per se. I also have a 98' shadow ace 750, that I have had for 3 years, so im not new to motorcycles either.

To the topic at hand Im looking at KTM's the 300 exc in particular. http://boulder.craigslist.org/mcy/4611290774.html

Is this a good first dirt bike for me? Is the fact that its a 2000 necessarily bad? I dont mind wrenching on the bike for sure as I do all my own repairs anyway. But is it gonna be a trip to hell an back to find/afford parts? Also what parts would be interchangeable between different years and bores?

What I'm looking for is a cheaper bike that I can ride single track in CO/MN for a few years until I'm out of school and get a better job. This bike kind of fits the bill, its cheaper, its a ktm and it is the poster boy for enduro/single track. Im not super interested in racing, I am adventurous and would rather get myself way in the middle of nowhere on my bike. This one is titled as well, is a street legal 300 2 stroke gonna vibrate like hell and get blown everywhere at freeway speeds? Im pretty interested in this one and am going to ask him to look at it, any major reasons not to? Thanks for any and all help.

Edited by Davschall

Thanks for the reply! I can imagine such a light single cyl. bike would probably not do well at freeway speeds. One benefit of getting a bike this cheap is I most likely wont have to sell my shadow anyways so thats all good.

Where is the best place to get parts for an older bike? Im going to see the bike today so i'll be able to make a better decision. Thanks!