For all us 08 owners

For sale:
2008 CRF 450R! you can give me your 2013 or 2014 as part of the payment... call now before I change my mind! LOL:moon:
jokes.
I was thinking on selling mine for buying a 2010 but after reading the article I want to keep her without doubts
MXA also made a video of this bike, it looks amazing and fun to ride.

the 08 does feel heavier and does not turn as easliy as the newer frames.  But the 05-08 frames are more stable on the straits.  power delivery is certainly different.  it took more work to get my 12 to ride like it should (over the 05 i once owned) but now that it is set up i prefer that bike over the older frames.

• Like 1

I agree with Jon-D's assessment after owning an 05 / 06 & haven ridden a well set up 08 from a local mx Pro.   The 05-08 bikes feel noticeably heavier & don't turn as well for that reason also prefer the 09-12 bikes once setting up the suspension & mapping I feel their better bikes.   

When I went to the dealer the other day to get a part I had to walk by a new 14 sitting there right inside the entrance. I just look the other way and hurry past it. If I stop and look there is a chance it may end up in my truck. Spending 10k on a new bike would be a waste on this weekend warrior

When I went to the dealer the other day to get a part I had to walk by a new 14 sitting there right inside the entrance. I just look the other way and hurry past it. If I stop and look there is a chance it may end up in my truck. Spending 10k on a new bike would be a waste on this weekend warrior

ya, they sure are expensive.

That is a sweet 08. People can debate if the new ones are better all day (and for sure there are some things noticeably better on the newer bikes) but at the end of the day, you can't go wrong with a nicely set up 08 CRF. Very solid, refined bike. I was at the Steel City National just a couple years ago when Blose rode his own 08. I believe that was 2012. Pretty cool stuff. 

You bring up a good point ah665. although the bike is older it is still very competitive. we could go into the pos/neg on each but that would only help someone who is deciding between the two based on their own personal needs.

the truth is most older bikes are still very competitive. case in point - and this may be more of an exception than a rule, but a couple of years ago during a Glen Helen 10 hour race one of our team members started on a 1997 CR 250 and was running 3rd overall! That was probably one of the oldest bikes on the line and he outran plenty of 450s.

• Like 1

At all levels of competition, it's more the rider, than the bike, that wins the race...

Yep couldn't agree more,

case in point - my buddy is racing the local vet state series here on an 04 KTM 2 stroke, against all new stuff and he woops their asses every round. That old saying comes to mind

Fast rider slow bike still beats a slow rider on a fast bike - he's in the first category I'm in the second -  ?

• 1 month later...

I test rode a 15 yz450 today after whooping ass on my 08. I will keep the 08, it was stronger, has better suspension (proaction), and is mine. Pros of the yz- crisp throttle response, rear brakes are great, clutch pull felt like a hydraulic. Cons- NOISEY NOISEY airbox deal! Suspension was super harsh on brake bumps, pegs felt too high or bars too low, power was instant and crisp but lugging a gear high made it pulse and feel dull vs my 08 that pulls with meaty power. I felt comfortable ergo wise on yz so took some lap times, not far off from my bike. 08 is still VERY competitive. I wish I could get my pilot circuit to give me that instant response without being too lean, maybe the carb mod in mxa is the golden ticket? I wouldnt give my 08 up for a new yz. 08 is a better machine, and much quieter.

I test rode a 15 yz450 today after whooping ass on my 08. I will keep the 08, it was stronger, has better suspension (proaction), and is mine. Pros of the yz- crisp throttle response, rear brakes are great, clutch pull felt like a hydraulic. Cons- NOISEY NOISEY airbox deal! Suspension was super harsh on brake bumps, pegs felt too high or bars too low, power was instant and crisp but lugging a gear high made it pulse and feel dull vs my 08 that pulls with meaty power. I felt comfortable ergo wise on yz so took some lap times, not far off from my bike. 08 is still VERY competitive. I wish I could get my pilot circuit to give me that instant response without being too lean, maybe the carb mod in mxa is the golden ticket? I wouldnt give my 08 up for a new yz. 08 is a better machine, and much quieter.

The yz makes 60hp stock and has the best suspension on the market.....I'd take any 2015 over the 2008.. Great bike for it's time but it 's time has past.

• Like 1

The yz makes 60hp stock and has the best suspension on the market.....I'd take any 2015 over the 2008.. Great bike for it's time but it 's time has past.

I dont have a stock engine, proba ly 60ish and my suspension is revalved and built for me. I guess I can rephrase and say my 08 is a better bike (for me) then a new yz. The air filter noise is very irritating.