Sign in to follow this  

06 CR250 build by Motocross Action

Pretty Kool once in a while the bike gets some recognition as far as the potential goes from the mx mags. Thought you guys would enjoy this article of a build on a 3rd gen CR250.  Enjoy !

http://motocrossactionmag.com/news/35873  

• Like 2

And all this was done with the stock mikuni carb, they didn't say anything about a PWK conversion.

Nice, leaves me sitting here and thinking those MXA guys are just riders though. Why do you need a suspension mechanic to "dial out the harshness" with "years of experience"...?

Anyway, nice article.

And all this was done with the stock mikuni carb, they didn't say anything about a PWK conversion.

Ridden on eight 05-07 models & they all had the oem mikuni's jetted fairly decent so I don't know how much better it could be with a Keihin carb since I haven't ridden with one.   With some patience I think the 04-07 tps mikuni can be jetted & get decent results.     

Man I wish somebody would do a shoot out between a sweetened 02-07 CR250 and an 01 model.

I would love to see the '01 worshippers finally admit the case reed 250 is better!!

I had a brand new 01 years ago and really loved it but I can't remember if it was as good as my modded 07 is now?

Anybody own a 00-01 and an 05-07 who can clear this up?

• Like 2

Man I wish somebody would do a shoot out between a sweetened 02-07 CR250 and an 01 model.

I would love to see the '01 worshippers finally admit the case reed 250 is better!!

I had a brand new 01 years ago and really loved it but I can't remember if it was as good as my modded 07 is now?

Anybody own a 00-01 and an 05-07 who can clear this up?

Sandy - I bought a new 01 in the spring of that year & feel the case reed motor is a better motor after some tweaks.   A good friend fellow rider that we use to race together back in the 90's picked up an 01 a few years back & had some engine work done.  He had heard & read the negative reviews on the case reed motor, but was surprised after we put in a few laps together with another fellow rider that had a YZ250.  The 03 CR250 with PC mods would pull both the 01CR & 02YZ by a few bike lengths on the long straights.         

sandy450 I bought an 01 brand new and a few years later bought an 07 brand new personally I liked the 01 motor better but once I got used to the 07 I didn't mind it. I loved the 07 chassis. I still own the 01 and kick myself for selling the 07

• Like 1

I've never ridden an 01 but thinking about it logically, in stock form the 01 is going to be a much better motor than the 07, it had 9 years of refinement behind it of course it is going to be better.  On the other hand, is it fair to compare a modded 07 motor to a stock 01?  having said that, there is no question the 02-07 chassis is better than the 01 so if you can spend $100 on 1 simple mod for the 07 and make the motor as good or better (reported by some) than the 01, then the 05-07 is a better platform to start than the 01 IMO.  What would be interesting is having PC mod the 01 and the 07 and then doing dyno comparisons to see which had more power, or even Eric Gorr for that matter as long as both motors were modded by the same tuner. 

• Like 1

I'm more curious about the motor mods that were done to this. This artical is pretty vague on the subject.  IMO a more interesting comparison would be between different tuners on the same (case reed) motor aiming for the same objective. Adding 7hp is pretty significant! Was this ported for low, mid or top? Head modded for pump or race fuel?

Edited by Conrad Murphy

Sandy - I bought a new 01 in the spring of that year & feel the case reed motor is a better motor after some tweaks. A good friend fellow rider that we use to race together back in the 90's picked up an 01 a few years back & had some engine work done. He had heard & read the negative reviews on the case reed motor, but was surprised after we put in a few laps together with another fellow rider that had a YZ250. The 03 CR250 with PC mods would pull both the 01CR & 02YZ by a few bike lengths on the long straights.

So a done up CR vs a stock CR and YZ and you're surprised it would pull both the stockers?

• Like 1

sandy450 I bought an 01 brand new and a few years later bought an 07 brand new personally I liked the 01 motor better but once I got used to the 07 I didn't mind it. I loved the 07 chassis. I still own the 01 and kick myself for selling the 07

I have, I own a 00 right now, what's that tell you

but I ride in the woods and like bottom/mid,  ours has a 96 cylinder and a gnarly pipe  very little top end now it signs off fast

Okay but how does it compare to a brand new Ktm 250sx? Hopefully pretty well because I've been steadily pouring money into mine chasing the similar results to that MXA bike because I can't afford $8k for a new 250... :/

I'm more curious about the motor mods that were done to this. This artical is pretty vague on the subject.  IMO a more interesting comparison would be between different tuners on the same (case reed) motor. Adding 7hp is pretty substantial! Was this ported for low, mid or top...pump or race fuel?

I talked to Varner about my set-up a few months ago. I was wondering if there was any more low hanging fruit that I was missing. I told him that I have .030" off the base w/ the stock head and a YZ carb. Terry said that makes the most of it, and that I could raise the transfers .030" for a little more mid-up.

My guess is the +7hp was not at peak, but somewhere in the low-mid part of the hp curve. I didn't quiz him about that particular subject.

• Like 1

So a done up CR vs a stock CR and YZ and you're surprised it would pull both the stockers?

Monk - If you reread the post the friend with the 01 CR had engine mods done.  I've also owned an 04 YZ250 with PC mods & as I far as I know the engine hasn't changed much since 99 or 00 to current YZ models.   PC Mod for mod on the 03CR250 vs. the 04 YZ 250 the CR feels stronger once in the midrange to the top revs.  The YZ signed off a lot sooner while the CR pulls hard up top with an impressive overrev.     

Okay but how does it compare to a brand new Ktm 250sx? Hopefully pretty well because I've been steadily pouring money into mine chasing the similar results to that MXA bike because I can't afford $8k for a new 250... :/

I'm confident the 03 with mods even though it's 11 yrs. older would stack up well vs. a 14 KTM 250SX.   I feel this bike can still be competitive against modern bikes & don't feel at a disadvantage when riding against them as it's pulled 450's on the track.     

I wouldn't consider a new ktm unless they switched to Showa or KYB suspension as initial reports say the WP stuff is garbage.

Edited by H4L
  • Like 1

Initial reports, all reports say all the WP stuff for MX is garbage. The only people saying the 4cs is good are trail riders. The KTM owners I am aware of spent 4 on ohlins right away before riding the 4cs stuff. Other KTM owners are putting SSS forks on, or putting KYB internals in the WP forks.

Yup.  If you go over to the suspension section you'll read about most owners having issues setting up the WP suspension & those who can afford it go to the Ohlins.    Also to consider is the price of the parts vs. the CR's I've heard it can be up to twice as much on some oem parts.    

Edited by H4L

Yup.  If you go over to the suspension section you'll read about most owners having issues setting up the WP suspension & those who can afford it go to the Ohlins.    Also to consider is the price of the parts vs. the CR's I've heard it can be up to twice as much on some oem parts.    

LOL. You know with parts it go's both ways. Just purchased a stock seat for the SX = $84. Purchased a stock seat for the CR almost 2 years ago = $150. With all the parts I buy I'm well aware how quickly the prices increase. So to be fair I went to your favorite Honda discount house to see what the actual price of that CR seat is today, fiche says MSRP = $225 = OBSOLETE! Get used to that fellas I see it more and more.

When it comes to suspension there are those who feel if it's stock O.E.M. it sux, doesn't matter who made it.   

LOL. You know with parts it go's both ways. Just purchased a stock seat for the SX = $84. Purchased a stock seat for the CR almost 2 years ago = $150. With all the parts I buy I'm well aware how quickly the prices increase. So to be fair I went to your favorite Honda discount house to see what the actual price of that CR seat is today, fiche says MSRP = $225 = OBSOLETE! Get used to that fellas I see it more and more.

When it comes to suspension there are those who feel if it's stock O.E.M. it sux, doesn't matter who made it.   

Agree parts can go both ways.  For comparison I looked on Motosport.com & compared apples to apples on some oem parts on a 14 KTM250 SX vs. an 07 CR250r.  Below are the prices that were posted.

Clutch basket SX = $289.88    CR = $223.26

Carb Keihin SX = $406.55   CR Mikuni = $241.64 

Crank Shaft SX = $770.61   CR = $250.06

Piston kit SX = $172.70    CR = Only had Pro X & took the highest price = $129.99

Cyl. head SX = $102.64    CR = $86.69 

Cyl. + piston SX = $858.05 (Didn't see cyl, only)     CR = $375.61 - Cyl. only

Forgot to add on the suspension your right about some riders commenting on the oem stuff sux's no matter who made it.   My personal experience with Showa or KYB on CR / CRF's is it's decent out of the box with clicker adjustments, but very good once revalved.  As I got faster thru the years I really appreciated having good suspension that was set up.     

Edited by H4L