Sign in to follow this  

1996 Beta Techno 250 Trials Bike

Hey all, I don't think there is a trials bike forum here on TT, so I figured I would post in the Beta forum since I have a Beta question. Sorry if I picked the wrong forum.

I found a great deal on a clean 1996 Beta Techno 250 trials motorcycle I am going to check out this weekend. Trials stuff has always fascinated me so I would like to give it a shot. I am 6'5 tall and 257 pounds.

What do you guys think? Due to my size / weight, would trials be something I should try or just steer clear from? Any advice or info would be appreciated. Thx, Pete

Pete, I'm 6'1" at 175lbs. and rode a Beta Rev3 270 for about 5 years.  I'm all leg (36" inseam) and fit the bike fine, but did have to bend at the waist to ride it properly.  I didn't do many changes to it and rode in a fairly "hunched" over fashion which worked ok until my hands/wrists started to protest.  As with most trials riders, you put a fair amount of weight on your hands and bar risers may not do much to alleviate that.  Don't let that discourage you from getting one as riding trials improved my skills more than with any other bike I've ever owned and they're a hoot to ride.  Just be forewarned that if you can't take weight on your hands/wrists while clutching constantly, you'll probably be looking for some sort of fixes.

Pete, I'm 6'1" at 175lbs. and rode a Beta Rev3 270 for about 5 years.  I'm all leg (36" inseam) and fit the bike fine, but did have to bend at the waist to ride it properly.  I didn't do many changes to it and rode in a fairly "hunched" over fashion which worked ok until my hands/wrists started to protest.  As with most trials riders, you put a fair amount of weight on your hands and bar risers may not do much to alleviate that.  Don't let that discourage you from getting one as riding trials improved my skills more than with any other bike I've ever owned and they're a hoot to ride.  Just be forewarned that if you can't take weight on your hands/wrists while clutching constantly, you'll probably be looking for some sort of fixes.

Thanks for the info and reply.  I am also a 36 inseam, but make up the extra few inches in the torso.  I am somewhat used to riding bent in the middle.  I think stock bikes are designed for 5'10 riders.  I have a 2008 CRF450R and had to get extra tall bar mounts and tall rise handlebars to make it more comfortable.

My goal is to someday ride in Hard Enduro competitions and I have heard most of the Hard Enduro riders spent a lot of time on trials bikes.  Like you experienced, the skills learned on a trials bike makes you a much better rider.

Thanks again for the encouragement and advice.  I am going to go down today and hope to come home with the Beta trials bike.

Well?....... Did you get it?

Unfortunately I did not. On Craigslist the bike looked really clean, but when I saw it in person it was actually pretty rough. On top of that, the guy and his Dad could not get the bike started. After 30 minutes and still no start I decided to leave. They called me 10 minutes later and said they got it to fire up. I told them I appreciate it, but I want something a little cleaner and a bike that fires right up after a few kicks. They were really nice people, but the bike was just not what I thought it was going to be. I will keep looking.

Would really like a 99+ Montesa Cota, but they are super hard to find used here in the USA.

Thanks for checking in.

I just came across a '99 Beta Techno, and like you, have been fascinated by trials riding; the problem being, I live on Maui, the bike is on Oahu and they want $2,000 for a fifteen year old bike (that I probably won't see before purchasing).  

Hence, my question is what's a 99 worth?

I just came across a '99 Beta Techno, and like you, have been fascinated by trials riding; the problem being, I live on Maui, the bike is on Oahu and they want $2,000 for a fifteen year old bike (that I probably won't see before purchasing).  

Hence, my question is what's a 99 worth?

I'm not up on what bikes in HI cost, but that sounds high to me. However, if it's really clean and if the seller isn't firm on the $2,000 it's a starting point for negotiations. I sold my 04' Rev 3 for $2500 in primo shape, but was needing tires.  The trials community is fairly close knit, I'll bet if you find a forum for HI, someone will have seen the bike and can offer an opinion.

• Like 1

There is a trials forum on here. Been looking at it myself a bit lately. Want to get a trials bike soon. About to move to a place with some land and want to build a practice track with some trials obstacles to sharpen up on some skills. I have the opposite version of your problem when it comes to off road bikes. 28-29" inseam. One of the main reasons I want to get better at trials type riding. Don't have to worry about dabbing if you can't without falling over!

There is a trials forum on here. Been looking at it myself a bit lately. Want to get a trials bike soon. About to move to a place with some land and want to build a practice track with some trials obstacles to sharpen up on some skills. I have the opposite version of your problem when it comes to off road bikes. 28-29" inseam. One of the main reasons I want to get better at trials type riding. Don't have to worry about dabbing if you can't without falling over!

Congrats on the new place with some land! That's awesome. I am in the same boat as you. I want to become a better rider and from everything I have read, getting a trials bike and putting in the time on it is the way to become a better all around rider period.

I live in a very small town here Oregon. The closest trials bike dealer is about 180 miles away. Finding used trials bikes in Oregon is very hard. I had to drive 110 miles to look at the last one for sale (Beta Techno) and it was in super rough shape.

I hope to find a trials bike in decent shape soon for a good price. Please keep your fingers crossed for me! :-). I would like a late 90's early 2000's 2 Stroke Montesa Cota, but they are almost impossible to find. I probably will end up with a Beta, which I hear from everyone are really great bikes.