Drz shop and service help please!

Ok so I took my 2002 Suzuki DRZ400s to the shop because it needed re jetting. I bought it with the 3x3 mod done and an aftermarket full yoshimaru exhaust. The bike also has stage 2 cams for what I was told. But anyways. I took the bike into the shop to get rejetted and they did so. But once I left the bike wouldn't idle properly. I barely made it 2 miles from the shop. They also closed around the time I was leaving as usual. It would start if I pulled the choke out one click and pulled the throttle back a few times. If I engage the choke all the way it won't start at all even with a few blimps on the throttle. I'm pissed that I left my bike in their shop for a week and they only did the re jet and installed a new battery for $450. I have half the mind to make them come and pick the bike up from my place since I had to haul it out there last time and make this rite. Now I have no way to haul it on my own. What should I do? Thank you. Btw this is my first post. Hope I did good.

1st post I see there o'l mate.....Welcome to the forum.... :cheers:

Ok....your issue...

I would be calling the shop and ask to speak to the manager/owner....explain your situation and maybe they will be reasonable about it , if they are wanting to maintain a decent reputation at least....

It may or may not be related to their work , but you would have to lean towards it being an issue related to their handy work ....

Other wise I am thinking partially plugged pilot jet from sitting with corn juice....

Edited by Craig-o
  • Like 1

Wow :crazy:

$450 ??

Sounds like another bike shop to Avoid

I think after this I'm done with them. The manager is coming out to my house today because I can't get the bike started again. He's making an house call. Oh btw nice VF1000R. I had an 85 ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408125866.656453.jpg

• Like 1

looks like apartment living - if they allow you to work on your cars/bikes, then by all means DO IT. 

you will find quite a few shops ready to charge $450 for $50 worth of shop time to rejet a bike. i would imagine once you've done a few things to your drz you will understand why it makes so much sense to DIY instead of getting ripped off at every turn. 

rejetting is 40 minutes, including putting tools away and a test ride. 

battery installation, less than 10, including clean up. 

• Like 1

Everything you need to know you can find here on thumpertalk. Rejet is really easy. Im gonna try and do my next valve check when its due. Do a job once and it gets easier and easier each time and its knowledge that will save lots of $$ in the long run. Youtube also is very helpful.

• Like 1

I think after this I'm done with them. The manager is coming out to my house today because I can't get the bike started again. He's making an house call. Oh btw nice VF1000R. I had an 85 📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408125866.656453.jpg

At least they are doing the right thing thus far,,,

btw...How many hours labor did they charge you for and what was the price of the battery..?...(I am trying to reason out why they would charge so much..)

When u get work done wherever, ask for a quote before hand..

Good shops with out the tools , normally send out jetting work to specialty shops, very few big name dealers have the tools, and back yard jetting in a parking lot by a mechanic , is not going to turn out as well as you'd like.

Skip the middle man and find that specialty shop that can do it right.

• Like 2

Is there any chance they left the vacuum line from the carb to the petcock off when the put the carb back on?  Have you tried to start it with the petcock in the "prime" position?  

That's kinda what I was thinking. Worth looking into. That happened to me once after I re-jetted for altitude.

Yeah, the last time I took my bike to a shop, they quoted me $850 for a stator/flywheel/rectifier. I took it home, found this site, and traced the problem down to a 0.20 cent connector (see free power mod). That was the end of dealership visits for me. I took the extra $849.80 and bought a bunch of tools and a Clymer manual (go ahead, start the flaming).

Edited by Filipe
  • Like 5

Ok so I took my 2002 Suzuki DRZ400s to the shop because it needed re jetting. I bought it with the 3x3 mod done and an aftermarket full yoshimaru exhaust. The bike also has stage 2 cams for what I was told. But anyways. I took the bike into the shop to get rejetted and they did so. But once I left the bike wouldn't idle properly. I barely made it 2 miles from the shop. They also closed around the time I was leaving as usual. It would start if I pulled the choke out one click and pulled the throttle back a few times. If I engage the choke all the way it won't start at all even with a few blimps on the throttle. I'm pissed that I left my bike in their shop for a week and they only did the re jet and installed a new battery for $450. I have half the mind to make them come and pick the bike up from my place since I had to haul it out there last time and make this rite. Now I have no way to haul it on my own. What should I do? Thank you. Btw this is my first post. Hope I did good.

You did good, besides taking your bike to that shop (not doggin ya, we all make unforseen mistakes).  I personally wouldn't let them touch my bike again.  Just bite the bullet & fix it yourself.  I'm sure it's just a lean pilot jet and / or lean fuel screw setting. 

And I'm sure some TT members have already pionted you in the right direction.

" Flying High Again"  ?

• Like 3

That's kinda what I was thinking. Worth looking into. That happened to me once after I re-jetted for altitude.

I took the extra $849.80 and bought a bunch of tools and a Clymer manual (go ahead, start the flaming).

Yeah, not a big fan of the Clymer manual but I'm glad you got it figured out.   The OEM manual (even with its errors) is better than the Clymer.  

I think after this I'm done with them. The manager is coming out to my house today because I can't get the bike started again. He's making an house call. Oh btw nice VF1000R. I had an 85 📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408125866.656453.jpg

That's not a VF1000 .. Its a CB1100RD .. Only 1500 made ( D model )

That's not a VF1000 .. Its a CB1100RD .. Only 1500 made ( D model )

Whoops my bad. I was 16 and bought the VF1000R as a project bike to build with my dad. Ended up just being me restoring it and finally driving it on my 18th birthday. Then I sold that a year ago and bought my jeep wrangler. Then bought my DRZ.

• Like 1