Sign in to follow this  

Rim locks for mx

This is a 2 part question here. Slapped my new beautiful dirt star st/x rims/rad hub combo wheelset on today and this is my first aftermarket wheel experience. There's another hole for another rim lock. Only one is installed and the hole is just kind of a void that will collect water when I wash my bike I guess. I only ride motocross so I am assuming I should be fine but what purpose does the other lock serve? Tire balance? I am a weight weenie but not to an extreme. I was checking out some motion pro lightweight rim locks on line and if anyone has used those before please chime in. I can see a major benefit to that as far as unsprung weight goes. Any suggestions on what to plug up the second hole with?

Lot of stock rims come with rubber plugs in the second hole, so they're available somewhere. Google them and see what you can find.

As for the second rim lock, you see them used in the woods sometimes. PITA to mount a tire around, but can be a good thing to get back to the truck with a flat.

• Like 1

I just filled mine with silicon. I don't run em in the rear as they are too must hassle to mount a tire with them. Not problems yet one year on

But i see now you have new rims so a plug with glue as suggested is probably better.

Edited by owainyz03

Drill more holes - all the way around.  You will save lots of weight and be able to go FAST!!!!!

• Like 2

Thanks people where would I find this type of rubber plug would a dealer have one or maybe Home Depot?