Sign in to follow this  

Why are 4 stroke pipes still so much more expensive than smoker pipes?

I understand that pipe manufacturers have to recoup their investment in R&D and new tooling to adjust to the realities of the "4 stroke world" (as MXA calls it), but surely by now prices should be more in line with smoker pipes (with adjustments for the amount of material).  Why are the prices still so high?

well,

lets see.

because people will pay for it!

its redicilous.......

okay a super light titanium/carbon system is one thing, understandably expensive weight savings.

(the titanium is welded in a purged cabinet full of expensive argon gas that i actually produce along with liquid nitrogen/liquid oxygen, at the air seperation plat i work at as an operator.  PC is actually a customer of ours they use so much argon we deilver it in liquid form to a bulk tank.)

the dual pipes on the hondas is really really really lame.

as far as the R&D what a joke.

heres what a developed 4 stroke pipe looks like

1X20-20Exhaust1.jpg

yeah thats actually a pro circiut, but not one you can buy...

it won the baja 1k

140.jpg

another REAL 4 stroke exhaust

developed by YOURS TRULY

we went through 7 illiterations.

IMAG1379_zpsb265779f.jpg

the effects of a real exhaust compared to a piece of tubing, connected to a thing with perforated tubing and fiberglass inside can be seen here on a 75hp single raced by my 15 year old little brother  it takes 12+ hours to build that pipe. theres 81 points laid out on each cone half...

now for a great priced / value 4 stroke exhaust check here

the craftsmanship is wonderfull, and theres a 1 year crash replacement warrant!!!!!!!!!!!!!! uheard of!

http://www.mrd-racing.com/

ive been to his shop its a single bay shop and its clean enough to eat off of.

i think its just him there.

he used to build mechanical fuel injection systems for jetskis

also his exhausts were used by the eddie sisneros ssw team in 09 to win the pikes peak 450 single class

or

if you can stand the looks of them.....

http://jemcoexhaust.com/downloads/Jemco_Product_Catalog.pdf

the jemco on that crf will make more power than ANY other avaliable pipe.

Edited by EnglertRacing
  • Like 2

Well its the market right now! I guess you could argue that its harder to baffle a 4-strokes sound waves but pfft.

One of the reasons I'm sticking to two strokes as a 16 year old... I can't afford to drop a grand on an exhaust pipe because unlike the other kids at the races my parents don't buy all my stuff... For the price of a 4 stroke exhaust I can do a lot to my 250sx... Pipe, reeds, head mods, etc. and still spend really no more that I would if I were to buy a 4 stroke system.

• Like 2

One of the reasons I'm sticking to two strokes as a 16 year old... I can't afford to drop a grand on an exhaust pipe because unlike the other kids at the races my parents don't buy all my stuff... For the price of a 4 stroke exhaust I can do a lot to my 250sx... Pipe, reeds, head mods, etc. and still spend really no more that I would if I were to buy a 4 stroke system.

for 400 you could have an mrd

or for a grand you could put a cam, high comp piston and pass the guys with pipes and horrible mapping.

you do know you dont have to have an aftermarket exhaust right

• Like 2

Yes I know that.. I'm just comparing the two, I may have exaggerated on the $1k for a pipe, but lots of 4 stroke systems are 600+ with the exception of the mrd pipes and a few others.

Yes I know that.. I'm just comparing the two, I may have exaggerated on the $1k for a pipe, but lots of 4 stroke systems are 600+ with the exception of the mrd pipes and a few others.

some of the dual honda pipes are 1200  :jawdrop:

Exactly, 1200 for a couple more horsepower is crazy.

i think its just stupid.

you could get the bike ported for less $$ and make way more power!

i dont know why everyone looks towards the exhaust first....

• Like 3

Because they looks cool lol.

I don't think I'll buy another 4t MX bike since I don't race. Too expensive for everything. For the price of the Yoshi exhaust to replace my scratched and dent stocker, I could've bought a whole FMF system for my 150, reeds, pipe guard, and maybe bars.

Stupid money in exhausts. I understand the FMF header being more money since it supposedly makes more power since it's different, but all the Yoshi header is, is the stock header with a flimsy, weaker bracket that holds it to the cylinder.

How come people don't try to make their own exhausts?

I don't get how an exhaust for my bike can be more money then an exhaust for my truck. If I go a ti/carbon dual (06 crf250) it's more money then me doing headers and a full bolt on exhaust for my truck.

This is why I'm going single. I get a deal from rocket exhaust so the slip on is cheap and it chops 7lbs off the ass of the bike. I could care less about the 1hp. But that's a huge weight savings for when I get back after a moto and I have to lift the bike into the stand all arm pumped and shit haha

The first thing I will say is that I'm no exhaust expert.  Not even close.  I do know that my 06 CRF450R that I bought new came with a stock titanium pipe.  I do work for a world leader in alloys manufacturing, with titanium being one of the alloys we produce.  Man, is it expensive.  Unbelievably so.

Now, are all or most of the aftermarket 4 stroke pipes made with titanium?  No idea.  But if they are, that is probably one reason.  Are the aftermarket manufacturers capitalizing on all the other high prices of 4 stroke parts?  I have no doubt.  They are in business to make as much money as they can, as fast as they can.  Private enterprise.

I don't get how an exhaust for my bike can be more money then an exhaust for my truck. If I go a ti/carbon dual (06 crf250) it's more money then me doing headers and a full bolt on exhaust for my truck.

This is why I'm going single. I get a deal from rocket exhaust so the slip on is cheap and it chops 7lbs off the ass of the bike. I could care less about the 1hp. But that's a huge weight savings for when I get back after a moto and I have to lift the bike into the stand all arm pumped and shit haha

I would say the 7 lbs is worth whatever the slip on costs!

I've never paid more that $400 for a full exhaust from Dubach Racing, Two Bros, FmF.

I have paid $525 for a ProCircuit

Anyone who buys a Titanium exahuast doesn't understand much about value or heat containment, or practically anything. They are not needed.

Stamped and pressed two stroke chambers are not very precision, and are not very accurate. They are made to be inexpensive.

• Like 1

I've never paid more that $400 for a full exhaust from Dubach Racing, Two Bros, FmF.

I have paid $525 for a ProCircuit

Anyone who buys a Titanium exahuast doesn't understand much about value or heat containment, or practically anything. They are not needed.

Stamped and pressed two stroke chambers are not very precision, and are not very accurate. They are made to be inexpensive.

I have to agree with your statement that Ti pipes are not necessarily necessity, but...since my bike is a woods bike, I do like the fact that the Ti pipe won't rust, since I do also have it wrapped.  And since it came as stock, no added expense.

• Like 1

What? You mean a OEM race bike ALREADY has a pipe installed that's ........ let's see........ oriented towards RACING? How is this possible? I'm shocked! :jawdrop:

Srsly tho, the OEMs put together a package to appeal to as many riders as possible. Since most who purchase  MX bikes don't even take them to the track it's amusing to see them install $1,000 or even $500 exhausts just so they can have that extra HP gain. :bonk:

• Like 1