Sign in to follow this  

SL100 Exhaust options, what will fit?

I'm very pleased to say that I recently purchased a bike I have wanted for years. The Honda Sl100. I was even more excited to have pulled one out of the attic of a barn with only 900 miles on it. UNFORTUNATLY, somebody stole the motor off of it years ago, but the remaining pIeces are obviously 900 miles worn. The bike is in beautiful condition and I have rounded up almost everything I need so far. One of the side covers was missing and the other cracked badly. So that being said, The bike will never be an original machine like I hoped for. There was an engine on it, but it was off of a CL100 and obviously had more miles than 900 haha. There was no exhaust to be found with the bike either. Anyways, I have no problem at this point stuffing any exhaust on the bike, as long as I can make it fit nicely. I want some sort of stock quiet exhaust. 

Can anyone please tell me what other exhaust systems might fit? XL100, XL125, SL125??? or even a modern XR100?? Anything works for me as long as it will look good and not be loud. I surprised my girlfriend with this bike as it will be her very first  :ride: she alredy has her full motorcycle license and surprisingly has been very interested in the revival of her "new" motorcycle, She has even sat around for an hour or so with me and helped turn wrenches! She is very short and we had trouble finding her a bike that she felt comfortable on. Then I was out one day and saw this thing and I knew, its perfect. and sure enough she absolutely loved it at first sight  :wub: and amazingly she can sit almost flat footed on it. So help us out, I'm hoping to have this complete before its too cold to ride and only a few little things holding us back!

Cant wait to ride together!!!

Bikes together.JPG

Edited by brraaapperdoodle

Yes.  ;)

Well the slip on (exhaust can) part anyway. Don't know if headpipes vary by size of motor?  seems like they should? 
Likely most Honda stuff will fit.  They liked to use the same parts on many bikes, so they tend to build them so that will happen.

I've used much newer XR parts on my old hondas for many years. 

My 2003 XR400  exhaust bolted up to my 85 XR350 with just the upper mount off a couple of inches. Span it with a piece of steel strap and a couple of nuts and bolts and it looked fabulous, updated the look IMO versus the cludgy old mufflers they used to use. 

Just measure the distance between mounting brackets and have the seller measure the same. The midpipe bend going around the frame can be a problem, but usually isn't. 

Can go to Service Honda or other oem parts house and look up the exhaust part numbers , though they could have different numbers and still work.  Compare the drawings for shape and bends. 

The headpipe is more problematic, as it has to bend around frames and fit the exhaust port, they are much more bike specific in GENERAL.  But could easily be similar or same on other 100-125cc Hondas.  

Have you looked for oem or after market parts for your specific bike?  Could surprise you (or not).

OR could just have a muffler shop bend you a headpipe if they have a mandrel bender. 

That link isn't working! And everytime I use the search on TT it ALWAYS says "no results found"

see the word "google" in the link...............   ;)      was a whole page of links, but the one I looked at was a complete exhaust on ebay in really decent shape.....

PS - link works fine for me.

Edited by MindBlower

any SL100 or SL125 will bolt right on. Also 1974 XL100 (just a SL with new sticker) will fit. A few companies made pipes for these like Hooker, Bassini etc. I live near coast so original SL pipes hard to find as rust at muffler to pipe weld.

Are you using the CL engine? Or did you find something else?

Well, after I found out the engine was not original, I went back and we literally pulled the bottom end of an SL100 engine out of the mud in a barn. Literally had to dig it out. So I have the SL cases and purchased an SL top end off of eBay. So my plan is to use the bearings from the CL engine and put those into the SL bottom. I hope it will work. I also have an SL125 bottom end. Hopefully I can make 1 useable engine out of the 3. The bike itself is almost finished. Been working on it nonstop for the past week or so. Usually when I do a resto or heavy duty cleaning and disassemble, I finish the bike first, then start working on the engine.

What kind of speeds can you expect out of the SL100?

I'm expecting around 50mph max speed. Which is plenty for where I live. I live in a small town in NC, a little mountain town where everybody knows everybody. Half the roads here dont even have yellow lines, just a paved road. I think the bike will be plenty for her to ride and also very un-intimidating. I just want her to have something she can feel like she has total control over, the less worried she is, the more fun she will have.

A good stock SL100 will go 60. A hot one will go much faster..... Have a 150cc road racer down under that is very close to 100 now with a hot pumpgas motor I built. Of course a very good fairing is required. PS do not put a 125 head on a 100 as lowers compression but 100 head on a 125 is good

A good stock SL100 will go 60. A hot one will go much faster..... Have a 150cc road racer down under that is very close to 100 now with a hot pumpgas motor I built. Of course a very good fairing is required. PS do not put a 125 head on a 100 as lowers compression but 100 head on a 125 is good

This puppy will be fresh, I will post a thread when I finish the bike. 60 mph? awesome, even better than I thought  :ride:

Also does anybody know about the exhaust flange fitment? The part numbers for the earlier SL is different from the 73' model. And wouldn't you know it, I can't find one anywhere. The correct part number for my bike is 18231-323-000. But that is confusing because the part numbers for the cylinder head itself are the same 1970-1973. Why would the flange be different? Will one for the earlier models fit??

flanges are interchangable. You are talking about flange not the 2 collars used to hold pipe with flange correct?  Should be piles of those on ebay

Depending on your skill and tool set you can make a flange and collar set if need be fairly easily with 1/4" plate scraps and mild steel tubing scrap the appropriate size, but like "teamrude" said, they should be all over ebay.

No, I'm sorry I should have been better in my description, I need one of these 271481008649_1.jpg

I already purchased the 2 collars that go behind that joint. The correct part # for the pipe joint that is for my exact model bike is 18231-323-000

I said flange before but Honda calls it a JOINT, EX. PIPE

Another thing  :D

I have only 1 key for this bike, it is the original and I can't find another key blank...

I dont want to let the misses hold that key... god only knows where her other ones end up  :busted:

"baaaabe, have you seen my keys??"  :facepalm:

we only have one of these though haha

anybody know where to get a key blank? 

flanges are interchangable. You are talking about flange not the 2 collars used to hold pipe with flange correct? Should be piles of those on ebay

So are you 100% sure that all the joints fit? I'm just confused as to why they would have different part numbers

you might consider keeping the CL bottom end, google SL100, the CL gives you nice gearing. Lots of information out there

you might consider keeping the CL bottom end, google SL100, the CL gives you nice gearing. Lots of information out there

The factory service manual listed gear ratios lists that the only difference is a taller 2nd gear. But all the others are the same. And really like I said, the only reason I wanted to use the SL cases is so it would be the "correct" motor for that bike. But you know, it's not original and never will be. So really at this point I might just keep that CL bottom until I get bored someday and might do the swap. Who knows haha

Brap, you must have a poor manual. There was actually 3 distinct gear ratios on SL100. First few were the close ratio of the CB-CL then they had a slightly wider trans ratios (which is actually the best overall IMO) and than the last ones had same as SL125 which was a Wide ratio.

Save the CL and use it for either a pocket road racer or if you MX it works perfect.