Sign in to follow this  

Hi folks. New guy here.

I bought my used 2008 DRZ with 2100 miles on it back in late 2010. Six months later it was stolen. A couple of weeks ago the police recovered it and it is now back in my possession with 7200 miles on the odo.

Unfortuanately during it's absence it was mistreated a bit. Carb is rough acting, front fender and left side panel are gone. Clutch lever has been replaced to likely replace the original damaged in a fall. Ignition switch is gone and has been replaced with a hot wire switch of some sort. Mirrors are gone. The fugly rear tail light has been owner modified in an attempt to streamline the ass end. New tires I had bought a few days before it was stolen are worn down a bit.

In spite of the damage and neglect I'm glad to be reunited with the bike. Now to begin the process of making repairs and upgrading. Lot of info here to digest.

• Like 5

Glad you got it back,  they put some serious miles on it,  lol

lets see some pics,

what are you going to do to it now?

• Like 3

This is one of the things I fear the most being an owner of motorcycles in a large city area. How did they manage to get to your bike? By posting it may give some tips to others on how to avoid this, glad to hear you got it back after all this time.

-ll

Thanks for the welcome. At the time I was temporarily living in an apartment when it went missing. Never imagined I'd see it again.

Attached are some photos showing some of missing parts and the bike in it's current condition.

I'm still evaluating options on repairs and mods. First order of business it to address the carb issue and get it running properly so I can at least play with it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Dwayne Weyrich
  • Like 1

Anywayz, spent some time online doing research and learned that the carb is suppose to have a vacuum line attached. I compared online pictures to my bike and quickly noticed that the tools who had my bike had disconnected the vacuum line on the petcock.

In the first picture a yellow plastic cover had been installed on the nipple of the petcock. The second picture shows some sort of contrived cap over the petcock end of the vacuum line. Third photo shows the yellow cover and the cap once removed.

The bike must have developed an issue after it was stolen hence the "mod"... so after reconnecting the vacuum line I wasn't expecting this to be the fix. Started the bike and the petcock promptly began spitting fuel from what I assume to be a nylon spacer on the petcock. Yellow arrow points to the location of the fuel exiting the petcock.

Work continues...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Glad you got it back,  they put some serious miles on it,  lol

lets see some pics,

what are you going to do to it now?

M8

Yeah , regarding the mileage , what did they do .. Use it as a daily Driver ......lol

I put about 1K on it before it was stolen. The thieves added the 4K over the course of the three years they had it.

My first motorcycle was a 1980 Suzuki GS450 I bought when I was sixteen. That bike had about 2K on it. In a year I put 20K on it. Took a trip to Canada at the same age of sixteen on it.

A couple of more photos:

First is of the bushings that the fuel tank rest on. I'm going to assume the one on the left is the stock unit. The one on the right is definitely smaller and was wrapped with several windings of electrical tape to get it close to the same size. Totally fubar'd setup and is indicative of an &%$#@! on crack who steals motorcycles because he is a pathetic loser.

Second photo is of the clamp on the airbox intake to the carb. Yes, that is a drywall screw in the clamp. Geez...

image.jpg

image.jpg

I pulled the carb and took it down to a nearby shop that specializes in bike repair and customization. Estimate on working on it is about $100. I know this is something I could do but for me, time is money and my free time is limited. I'm also someone who likes to give business to local establishments so they can stay in business and be there for those aspects of repair or modification beyond my ability down the road. Spreading the wealth so to speak. :)

• Like 1

Hi folks. New guy here.

I bought my used 2008 DRZ with 2100 miles on it back in late 2010. Six months later it was stolen. A couple of weeks ago the police recovered it and it is now back in my possession with 7200 miles on the odo.

Unfortuanately during it's absence it was mistreated a bit. Carb is rough acting, front fender and left side panel are gone. Clutch lever has been replaced to likely replace the original damaged in a fall. Ignition switch is gone and has been replaced with a hot wire switch of some sort. Mirrors are gone. The fugly rear tail light has been owner modified in an attempt to streamline the ass end. New tires I had bought a few days before it was stolen are worn down a bit.

In spite of the damage and neglect I'm glad to be reunited with the bike. Now to begin the process of making repairs and upgrading. Lot of info here to digest.

Glad you got it back man! I dont know what I would do if my bike was ever stolen.

Having the bike stolen sucked. Getting it back all these years later was a complete surprise. Only problem is that I'm now working on fixing everything the thieves fubar'd.

Today I took the petcock apart. Both diaphragms were in bad shape. And the inside of the petcock had excess amounts of whatever the thieves used to fix whatever ailed it. Not certain if I can clean this up well enough to rebuild.

image.jpg

image.jpg