Sign in to follow this  

Two Questions hopefully easilly answered

Hey guys, havent been on in a while which is a shame since i have some updates to my bike that i need to do.

but ive been riding nicley these past few months between dirt and street, and ive noticed that my bike doesnt enjoy hot starts very much. i ussually adjust idle or my fuel mixture and then it complies shortly after or i just bump start. im sumo mode i dont really run into this since i just ride to work or around, no real reason to turn the bike off then turn back on. im wondering if my pilot is just one size too big forget what i have in there, but normal for sea level mrd 3x3 E cams and compression. I was gunna pop the head off and check the valves. which lays out question 1: ive seen videos of the check, no one says to replace the gasket? which i find strange, can we really reuse the gasket?

anyone else have hot start temperments? cause it doesnt happen all the time

(i was going to get the kick start kit and put it in just to make sure i can always get home)

also i was contemplating the bigbore kits, anyone use the niche kit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-DRZ400-DRZ-400-434CC-BIG-BORE-CYLINDER-PISTON-GASKET-KIT-SET-/321341896702?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ad17837fe&vxp=mtr

did a search a bit back and didnt find anything, will i have to be the guinea pig?

Hey guys, havent been on in a while which is a shame since i have some updates to my bike that i need to do.

but ive been riding nicley these past few months between dirt and street, and ive noticed that my bike doesnt enjoy hot starts very much. i ussually adjust idle or my fuel mixture and then it complies shortly after or i just bump start. im sumo mode i dont really run into this since i just ride to work or around, no real reason to turn the bike off then turn back on. im wondering if my pilot is just one size too big forget what i have in there, but normal for sea level mrd 3x3 E cams and compression. I was gunna pop the head off and check the valves. which lays out question 1: ive seen videos of the check, no one says to replace the gasket? which i find strange, can we really reuse the gasket?

2 anyone else have hot start temperments? cause it doesnt happen all the time

(i was going to get the kick start kit and put it in just to make sure i can always get home)

3 also i was contemplating the bigbore kits, anyone use the niche kit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-DRZ400-DRZ-400-434CC-BIG-BORE-CYLINDER-PISTON-GASKET-KIT-SET-/321341896702?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ad17837fe&vxp=mtr

did a search a bit back and didnt find anything, will i have to be the guinea pig?

1 the valve cover gasket is reusable, many many times. take a look, it's big, beefy, and rubber. just don't cut it with a knife and it's good ;-)

2 hot start problems usually points to tight valve clearances. more heat, maybe more trouble. 

3 mmm, no idea about that distributor. the 434cc SIZE is extremely popular, considered very reliable, doesn't effect economy (purchase or mpg) much. 

as far as the jetting stuff, there's a matrix for confusing folks, i won't help it any ;-) 

excelent, i guess i will check my valve clearances, i used the matrix for my jetting and i can start my bike cold with not choke till about 35 deg F

anyone else have hot start temperments? cause it doesnt happen all the time

also i was contemplating the bigbore kits, anyone use the niche kit?

Haven't seen that BB kit before, but the price seems great. Have you done any research on it or the company? I know Cylinder Works is around $400 +/- and they have a Vertex piston.....that's almost twice as much.....I'd try to find out more before pulling the trigger. I have always been a believer in you get what you pay for, so....... ;)

• Like 4

im kinda wondering if its just a relabled nakamura kit.... which is a no go

• Like 2

Could be rich in the pilot circuit...Does it require choke to start when cold..?

That Niche kit , I haven't heard of them ..maybe a re named Namura, maybe not....it could be ok....

I would be asking more questions from the supplier...

what is the piston to bore clearance....you want .002 to .003 inch

Is it a forged piston....yes we want a forged piston...

If the boxes receive a tick, at that price it could be a good thing....

Though quality normally comes at a price...So it going to be a case of "Are you feeling lucky".. :)

• Like 1

Could be rich in the pilot circuit...Does it require choke to start when cold..?

That Niche kit , I haven't heard of them ..maybe a re named Namura, maybe not....it could be ok....

I would be asking more questions from the supplier...

what is the piston to bore clearance....you want .002 to .003 inch

Is it a forged piston....yes we want a forged piston...

If the boxes receive a tick, at that price it could be a good thing....

Though quality normally comes at a price...So it going to be a case of "Are you feeling lucky".. :)

yea i guess i could email them, see if they can even give a reply.

define cold =)

i only seem to need it around 35 deg F sometimes in the 40's