Sign in to follow this  

Which Husky for hare scramble?

So I am a vet racer currently running a Husky TXC310R.  I have been having problems with the bike and are thinking of getting a new (KTM based) Husky.  I have been riding for years and do hare scrambles.  Up until the TXC I have only owned MX bikes.

I like the TXC and while not a 450, it has nice power, but reliability is pushing me toward the new KTM based models.  Why Husky you ask?  In my state I can plate any model Husky.  I live 1-3 miles from all the trail heads, so crossing and go down roads legally to connect trails frequently so is a must.

I also don't want some lame street legal dual sport.  I ride too aggressive for those bikes.

Dealer can get a plate on a new FE350/501 or even on the motocross bikes 250/450.  I don't want to take a step down to a 250 and are thinking the 501 is just too much for the tight single track that I frequent.  So that leaves me with the FE350 or an FC450 (they don't sell FC350's in the US).

Am I better off just getting the enduro based 350 or would a motocross based FC450 with the addition of a heavier flywheel be better?  I would revalve the suspension on both bikes for my tastes so not worried about suspension differences.

If you could get either bike plated, and race hare scrambles, would you pick the motocross 450 over the enduro 350 assuming suspension is out of the decision making process?  Or is the 450 going to be too much bike especially in the tight single track?

I would certainly choose the bike that is set up from the factory for enduro/hare scrambles over an mx bike that needs modifications to make it a enduro/hare scramble bike.

If you can get ANY Husky plated, why not consider the 300 2-stroke, especially since you are talking about reliability issues.  

• Like 1

Rode a 2009 ktm 450 today and did not fall in love. Not much if any more power than my 310. Just more torque. Very heavy compared to my 310 and did not turn as well. Also noticed a lot of head shake and front end push. Was a handful in single track. Got tired much quicker. So I either keep repairing my 310 or try to ride test ride a 350.