Sign in to follow this  

Transmission oil color

So today I did an oil change on my fairly "new to me" 99 yz125 and when I took the oil out it was this greyish/brownish/greenish color and I am wondering what would cause this? Is it normal or is it a sierous problem?

1408117033149.jpg

1408117062702.jpg

Does it leak coolant from anywhere under the engine?

I think there are two "weep holes" in the case that leak when there's a bad seal.

Although I guess the holes could get blocked if it's all crusty under the engine.

Try just changing the oil, riding for a bit and draining again to check the oil for coolant.

The grey color however could be small metal shavings so maybe invest in a magnetic drain plug.

Greyness caused by engine wear is normal, but it shouldn't be that noticeable if the oil is changed frequently!

Good luck!

This is like from +10 hours of riding but there is no leak from the engine/transmission, I had to fix a leak from the drainbolt before I put this oil in but its all good. I'm going to check the coolant level in a little bit and thanks for the help !

When coolant gets in the transmission, the oil will be a milky white sludge. What you got there doesn't really fit that bill, what kind of oil are you using?

Here's the oil

1408199780758.jpg

Ok, does the oil maybe have a slight greenish color to it to begin with? I'm thinking what you've got is just some dirty trans oil. Fill it up, ride it a few times, then drain it and see what you have then. I notice you said it was "new to you", so it may take a couple changes to flush all of whatever the PO used in it out.

Yup, just change it and see how it goes. Is the bike shifting odd? Clutch feel wrong? Loosing coolant? Noisy?

Some bikes will even turn the oil into silver paint looking goo if ridden by a fast rider with aluminum clutch plates. That'll really freak you out. Older RMs are notorious for it.

Well I went for another ride and my motor seized so I room it apart and found out that it happened in the bottom end, I plan on taking the rest apart tonight to see what actually went wrong and try and fix it so it hopefully won't happen again