Sign in to follow this  

Rad Valve or V-Force for case reed engine?

Guys what do you think is better the Boyesen Rad Valve or Moto Tassinari's V-Force reed valve? Right now on my 02 CR 250 I have the V-Force, but it's the first version an I'm thinking of upgrading. I'm leaning towards the V-Force because the dual stage reeds always seem to hang open a little bit. Maybe some out there's tested both.

Guys what do you think is better the Boyesen Rad Valve or Moto Tassinari's V-Force reed valve? Right now on my 02 CR 250 I have the V-Force, but it's the first version an I'm thinking of upgrading. I'm leaning towards the V-Force because the dual stage reeds always seem to hang open a little bit. Maybe some out there's tested both.

Ran both & prefer the v-force.  It can be a personal preference as the rad valve felt like it made the motor rev slower vs. the  v-force it has more snap & revs quicker.   It's hard to improve upon the newer 03+ oem reed cages IMO.  If I was to do it over again 10 years ago knowing what I know now I'd stick with the stocker.   if you buy a new reed cage I'd recommend an 03 model as they've been improved upon.  

Thanks H4L you've been a big help on this forum to me. My 02 CR 250 been sitting in the garage and it's still on the original tires! My Wife got me back in 2010 a 2011 Suzuki RMZ 450 for Christmas and I've been riding it. I recently picked up a 2000 Honda CR 250 PWK along with a 2003 Honda CR 250 air boot, so I'm in the tweaking mode of my CR again! I really couldn't tell much if any difference between the 02 and 03 air boots? Hope it helps? Going to send my head back to Eric Gorr to have it shaved for race fuel and I've been reading about the jetting set ups for the PWK. I was at my riding area and one guy had a YZ 250 and it sounded so gooooooooooood! Got the two stroke bug again still love my RMZ too though!

Your welcome glad I could help.   I've been tuning these bikes for a long time & like to share my experience & knowledge gained thru the years.   I think the rad valve was designed more for the offroad vs. the v-force for mx application.

Your welcome glad I could help.   I've been tuning these bikes for a long time & like to share my experience & knowledge gained thru the years.   I think the rad valve was designed more for the offroad vs. the v-force for mx application.

Probably going to get the V-Force then because you can pick them up so cheap on eBay !

Ran both & prefer the v-force.  It can be a personal preference as the rad valve felt like it made the motor rev slower vs. the  v-force it has more snap & revs quicker.   It's hard to improve upon the newer 03+ oem reed cages IMO.  If I was to do it over again 10 years ago knowing what I know now I'd stick with the stocker.   if you buy a new reed cage I'd recommend an 03 model as they've been improved upon.  

Are you saying stock cage with stock reeds? Or aftermarket reeds?

Are you saying stock cage with stock reeds? Or aftermarket reeds?

The 03 oem reed cage is a good desingn, but I'd run Boyesen carbon fibre reed petals over the oem ones as they will last longer.  I believe Honda went to the carbon fibre reeds starting on the 05 models. 

The Rad valve gives the motor a smoother transition from low-mid vs. the v-force gives it the traditional 2t hit .

Also the 02 oem reed cage is a 2 piece unit vs. the 03 oem is a one piece unit & was also fitted with 8 reed petals for better lowend response.   

The 03 oem reed cage is a good desingn, but I'd run Boyesen carbon fibre reed petals over the oem ones as they will last longer.  I believe Honda went to the carbon fibre reeds starting on the 05 models. 

The Rad valve gives the motor a smoother transition from low-mid vs. the v-force gives it the traditional 2t hit .

Also the 02 oem reed cage is a 2 piece unit vs. the 03 oem is a one piece unit & was also fitted with 8 reed petals for better lowend response.   

I have a rad valve on my 03. The transition is very smooth. Don't have any experience with the stock valve. Rad valve was on it when I bought it.

• Like 1