Sign in to follow this  

TTR125 adapting an oversized tank from another model?

Hello,

New member here but long time TT reader. Appreciate all the valuable information everyone has.

My wife and I are planning an epic ride in Moab next spring 2015 and my wife will be riding her awesome 2003 TTR125 that has a Rekluse clutch and VM24 carb. 

Being that rides in Moab are usually super long (150-200 miles) between gas stations, I'm wondering what options are out there for increasing range?

Yes I know no one makes an aftermarket TTR125 specific oversized tank.

Not sure if I want to add a handlebar mount tank or tail mount tank.

Anyone have experience with adapting an oversized tank intended for another bike or just a bigger tank from another bike? What would you recommend that would fit reasonably well or with minimum fabrication? It doesn't have to look pretty - just needs to be secure and functional.

Thanks for the help.

-K

Edited by kapribadi

Sad to see no responses so far. Fast forward 6 months I still do not have any real options and our Moab trip is less than 8 weeks away.

Have been thinking about using a YZ125 fuel tank. It appears that IMS, Clarke, and Acerbis all make +3 gallon tank.

I have a 2003 TTR125LE. I have posted pictures of my fuel tank measurements here: https://picasaweb.google.com/109346304120436211873/TTR125FuelTank?authkey=Gv1sRgCMn0o_CnzrKR_gE#

There are 2 generations for the YZ:

- 96-2001

- 2002+

Does anyone know which YZ125 year/generation tank would fit my TTR125 best?

Can someone please measure and photograph their YZ125 tank & frame for those 2 generations and share that here?

I will also post on the YZ page to see if anyone there can also measure. (http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1121963-adapt-yz125-fuel-tank-on-ttr125le/)

Thanks!

Edited by kapribadi

I believe that you can find the tank dimensions of all the Yamaha gas tanks an the Yamaha website in their online repair manuals.

You might scoot over to your local Yamaha dealer, or a motorcycle junkyard and eyeball what might fit.  Bring your tape measure and/or wife's existing tank.

Steve