Sign in to follow this  

Thinking about giving racing a try...

Like the title says, thinking about entering my first hare scramble/cross country race but i am a bit apprehensive. I am definitely not the fastest guy around and I feel like i will spend a bunch of time i the way. To the guys that race regularly, does it bother you when you run into the backmarkers? I am more concerned with messing with the guys that take it seriously, when i want to go out there and have some fun. I'm torn!

• Like 1

Be courteous to the faster riders, move out of their way when you hear them, often they will call or shout to let you know they are there. 

But after all racing is about making passes and the faster riders will know how to do this quickly. 

And most of all have fun!

(check out zakatk on youtube he does commentaries on hare scrambles and you might be able to get some tips from what the slower riders do in his videos.) Best of luck

• Like 1

I just started racing a few weeks ago. When you hear someone coming up on you, just move over and let em by. If they caught up to you they're obviously faster so just give em room when you can. Really though, don't stress out about it too much. You'll have plenty of other stuff going through your mind haha! The biggest thing to keep reminding yourself when you're racing is that you're having fun. No really, literally say it out loud when life starts sucking during the race haha. Good luck!

• Like 1

His videos are great and very entertaining! I'm guessing it isn't an issue to most people, i just dont want to be 'that guy' thats always in the way and slowing people down. For all i know i may not be the slowest rider either, i dont really have any comparison at this point.

Do it!  It's fun, and you'll learn a lot. 

When you get lapped by a faster rider, watch what they're doing.  They're fast because they do things right.

i-2n48JvV-L.jpg

i-hCdkkST-L.jpg

Try not to do this. :smirk:

DSC_9755_-L.jpg

i-MN9WbmZ-L.jpg

• Like 4

Do it! I race hare scrambles, and you gotta start somewhere. Like everyone said just race your speed and when you hear someone behind you just move off to the side. It's a lot of fun and i have been slowly climbing places hope to get top 3 next race

Like the title says, thinking about entering my first hare scramble/cross country race but i am a bit apprehensive. I am definitely not the fastest guy around and I feel like i will spend a bunch of time i the way. To the guys that race regularly, does it bother you when you run into the backmarkers? I am more concerned with messing with the guys that take it seriously, when i want to go out there and have some fun. I'm torn!

Never did a race before but i'm sure you would have to do something really dumb to leave an impression on experienced riders. I'm tempted to throw on some guards and hit up one of those hare scrambles.

• Like 1

I started racing old timer MX this year. Never raced before in my life. I should have started sooner! Once I learned to relax and have a good time it became the best thing I've ever done. So much fun man. And you learn a lot faster as well.

• Like 1

I started racing old timer MX this year. Never raced before in my life. I should have started sooner! Once I learned to relax and have a good time it became the best thing I've ever done. So much fun man. And you learn a lot faster as well.

My thoughts exactly!

You planning on doing a WIXC race?  Go ahead and do it.  I starting racing HS for the first time at age 35 this year with the WIXC series.  Enter C class and you'll be fine.  Here's a video of me not getting out of the way quick enough and me slightly veering back into the path of a A/B rider.  I met the guy that ran over my bike at the last race, we had a laugh about it. 

Starts at the 12:34 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GS78EGSsQM

You planning on doing a WIXC race? Go ahead and do it. I starting racing HS for the first time at age 35 this year with the WIXC series. Enter C class and you'll be fine. Here's a video of me not getting out of the way quick enough and me slightly veering back into the path of a A/B rider. I met the guy that ran over my bike at the last race, we had a laugh about it.

I've seen your video before lol! Small world, i was at the track in Cecil last sunday. I think i am going to do the Sugar Camp race coming up and if that goes well I'll do the Cecil round too.

Hey .. Enjoy the Racing .. You got some decent riding gear ?

Do it.

Its a rush, and you get some good riding in.

The guys who are good enough  to catch you should be able to ride around you, especially if you pull over when you hear revving.

• Like 3

You planning on doing a WIXC race? Go ahead and do it. I starting racing HS for the first time at age 35 this year with the WIXC series. Enter C class and you'll be fine. Here's a video of me not getting out of the way quick enough and me slightly veering back into the path of a A/B rider. I met the guy that ran over my bike at the last race, we had a laugh about it.

Watching your video felt like watching me race, you and I ride very similar! The track you were on reminds me of a few of the hare scramble races I do but we have more clay and rock and less sand. I'm 45 now and this is my second year racing and I love it. In my races most guys give you the panic rev as you're more likely to hear that than yelling at them but it's funny to watch your video and listen to all the yelling haha

Also for the OP:

Here's one of my first races. Slow rider, DOT tires, and incorrect suspension settings....... riders don't get much slower than me..... :

Hey I'm looking into it too how does the whole ama membership work as far as going to hare scrambles and enduros and trail riding and another question how would a 1985 XR 350 that has been bored to a 400 something hold up riding and racing I know xr's are beast but how would it hold until I could get around to getting an actual newer bike

Also for the OP:

Here's one of my first races. Slow rider, DOT tires, and incorrect suspension settings....... riders don't get much slower than me..... :

What kind of racing is that? You guys all move at a pretty good clip! Your bike was dancing around a lot but you stayed up !