Sign in to follow this  

Large amount of riding gear - neck brace help

I am having trouble determining the best setup for riding trails in the backcountry of Colorado and would love some advice. When I suit up with a helmet, chest protector and camelbak, knee guards and elbow guards it feels like a full load. I can't move!!! Think of the kid from Little Giants! Now I want to add a neck brace to the mix for added safety reasons. I totally get the brace is second in importance to the helmet, which is why I want to wear one.

I bought a fly leatt neck brace on motorcyclecloseouts, but after sizing it and putting on all the gear I felt like I could not move and the leatt spine brace was pushing too hard on my spine when my camelbak was on. Boo! I just sent it back and motorcycle closeouts charged me a $20 return fee. Standard policy!

Can you guys provide feedback on how you wear all of that gear? current setup? Type of neck brace you wear?

I wish I could ditch the camelbak, but I need water, my ktm tool kit and a few snacks.

There's something about all those sharp rocks, pine trees and death on the left (exposure) in Colorado that makes you want to gear up.  At least the temps are pretty mild in the mountains, so you can wear a lot of gear over summer.

It's spendy for sure, but I like the fit of the Leatt body armor and neck brace (designed to work together).  Mine fits fine with a large hydro pack (35l).

It's pretty hot, I would not like to wear in down in GJ or Moab in the hotter months.  Anything over 80 and it starts to get uncomfortable.  OTOH it keeps my chest warm down to 45 even if I'm soaking wet riding though a storm at speed.

Performance Cycle of Colorado carries the leatt gear, so I suggest you take your pack and see what fits.

My neck brace is so comfortable, I didn't even notice it was missing the other day when I forgot to put it on.  Honestly all my gear feels great and doesn't restrict me.  I don't even feel it when I'm riding.  OTHO I can't wait to get it off at the end of the ride - it's not very comfortable to sit around in it (mostly the knee braces).

I wear:

Leatt upper body armor and (race??) neck brace with a Klim jersey over the top

POD K700 knee braces with fly racing stocking/sock thingies underneath

Force Field padded shorts under Klim Dakar pants

Go-Lite 35L pack with cold weather survival gear (Gore-tex bivy, down sleeping bag, air mat) with a serious first aid kit and S&R beacon.

After many many years of wearing a chest protector I finally got rid of it and switched to an Ogio Flight Vest. It spreads the weight of trail "essentials" very well and offers decent protection (I don't miss the chest protector).

http://ogio.com/flight-vest

Another option that looks interesting but I have never tried is the Zac Speed Exotec. I'm not sure how it works with neck braces but I bet there are some reviews available that will answer that.

http://www.zacspeed.com/12site/row/2012-exotec-v2.shtml

CoKTM

Edited by coktm

When I suit up with a helmet, chest protector and camelbak, knee guards and elbow guards it feels like a full load. I can't move!!!

You can't move? You're not doing jumping jacks. When riding, you're pretty much sitting or standing in the same position without a lot of movement. You'll get used to wearing the gear and be glad you had it on when you suddenly find yourself on the ground, as happens to all of us at times.