Sign in to follow this  

DR650 or KLX250s

Ok sorry for this, I know it's an apple to oranges type of comparison, but I'm beating my head against the wall trying to decide.. Errrr

I've found both brand new, I've been approved for very reasonable financing and I'm ready to go...I fear I'm gonna make the wrong choice...

About me, 34, aggressive rookie rider that will try anything, even above my skill level, I currently ride a cr250 and kdx220(love the power)

Why the klx250 and dr650??

Other than because they are available and I'm pre-approved...I like the klx because it's simple, light, decent upgradeable suspension, will work OK on gnarly single track I seem to gravitate to, and reliable...things I don't like, undered powered, not good for carrying loads or cruising the hwy for hours on end.

The DR650, powerful, decent upgradeable suspension, can pass as an adventure bike(RTW anyone?), proven reliability, better on hwy, can be made into a good trail DS....what I don't like weight.

The dr has less negitives than the klx so you'd figure the DR would be my choice...well it is but what if I hate it??

What would you guys do???

De ja vu all over again hearing an echo from 2002.  I bought the DRZ400S and never looked back.

But that was me and today is you………  Good luck!

• Like 1

Ok thanks everyone, but I went with the klx, my reasoning...

1) I compared insurance for the klx vs the dr, even with my full safe driving discount I would be paying 3x more on the 650, I was quoted $2100 for the dr and $650 for the klx...wow, rates go up exponentially with cc's. Ouch!!! One year of driving the klx and I'd save enough for a 351 big bore and performance carb, and it would still be registered as a 250 as we don't have annual inspections here.

2) I couldn't get over the weight of the dr, the klx weights in at 295 and I've read you can shave another 40ish buy converting to kickstart, new exhaust, battery delete and misc here and there's.

Now a 351 at 260lbs sound more interesting. I could lose 10lbs, so that's more weight lol!!

3) The klx is will be better in the really nasty stuff. I can just see myself getting way over my head with a dr, like I said, I gravitate to really nasty Pacific Northwest single track.

4) plus the dealer at with the klx through in some farkles to sweeten the deal and offered me a better deal/discount.

More on the the insurance...riding and dirtbiking is a form a freedom to me. Being strongly libertarian minded I want the least amount of government in my life, by paying so much I feel I would be wrongly taxed and this alone would take some of the pleasure out of it, am I weird this way!! Probably but meh...

Any ways, I ordered a 13t sprocket and dynojet kit for it to start, dealer through in new bars and bark busters and a years worth of filters(air and oil)and oil.

Cheers

Oh yeah, pics or it didn't happen

The stable minus my kx80

29E5DFB5-75C3-4C1A-AA36-D0F27A37D720.jpg

Edited by matty86suk
  • Like 1

Hi, I'm in the same boat except newbie I'm short 29" inseam, weight is my biggest concern and oh I don't like the look of the fairing on the 650 I do want a modern look Some say go with the 650 you'll get board of the 250 and that 351 bb kit is waste of money etc..

I was so sold on crf 250l then I sat on lowered klx 250s (what a weight difference) then learned on here you can build kawi and go twice as fast then the honda ..Fellas I'am puzzled

Edited by Tumadre

On which bike to get.. Either the dr 650 or klx 250..

Set the DR650 on the lower shock setting (from factory) and buy a lowering link. Shave seat if necessary - they're actually not very tall compared to other more fully dirt oriented dual sports (XRL KTM Husky WR250R etc). Far more capable dual sport bike than the KLX250 or 351 variant. Just my opinion.