Sign in to follow this  

RFS can Cain tensioner problems..?

Are these known to fail? Last night I was out on my 520 supermoto with my buddy on his gsxr600. Long story short I decided to let that rear tire spin in the dirt up till 4th gear all while holding that front brake. I went to take off and noticed my valves are WAYY too loud. I'm pretty positive my chain slipped

If the chain was loose enough to jump, you would think the chain would have been making heaps of noise.

It's a new chain, and it was tight, but the tensioner could have clicked in under that load then the spring pushed it back out after it jumped?! I have no idea it's just a guess, I'm not sure if the tensioner is even a problem on these motors or an I sure it's my timing, but I have a pretty good idea it isss

I just had a timing issue, I thought it was my valves so I did a adjustment on the valves and it was still ticking then yesterday the bike died on me and wouldn't restart acting like a fouled plug. Ended up being the sensor had vibrated a little to far away to sense when to fire

If the chain jumped you would have bent either both intake or both exhaust valves depending on the piston

This isn't true. Yes it's definitely very possible to bend a valve but if it just jumped a tooth or 2 way the valves would be hitting

Well I guess maybe 2 teeth it could on this bike, but I Don't want to find out hah I know what valves hitting the piston sounds like and this isn't itt

The only time I've heard the CCT will let go is with hard downshifting on pavement. Not common though.