Sign in to follow this  

Holding a Line (Passing in Races)

I'm practicing and gearing up for my first Hare Scramble.  I feel pretty good about it and about my ability to at least finish. I have always ridden alone or with only one other.  On the rare occasion that I get passed by someone else on the trail or even my riding buddy, my eye catches them about the same time I hear the brappp.  It always startles me and I flinch or even jump sometimes.  I don't want to cause a wreck.  When some one yells out a pass call or if I hear someone coming up, what do I do to ensure the safe pass without slowing down or pulling off?  I have heard "hold your line".  I assume that means just don't change where you are in the trail?

And if I pass someone else... I yell out... hope they hear, and then what?  Do you try to pass on the left?  wherever is open?  Is there more protocol than that or do you just hope they know what to do?

I will be in the beginner class, so I figure passing and getting passed may be a scary proposition.  Any advice?

The best thing you can do is to motion to the other rider. Hold your line, ie; ride in a predictable path. When someone calls out or gives you a rev , throw a hand up to acknowledge. Then look ahead for a spot wide enough for them to squeeze by and point at it. You may need to slow up some, it's still a lot better than getting wrecked.

This basic courtesy won't always get returned but most guys really appreciate it. Older and experienced riders will try to get your attention before a pass and this is how you can reward them. It helps keep both of you moving forward efficiently.

• Like 1

I had these questions as well. I was given all sorts of advise. What I learned riding C class(first race ever).

1. I'm a B class racer

2. HOLD YOUR LINE

3. I try to always be aware of my surroundings.

4. Beginner racing is a contact sport(even if unintentional)

5. Sometimes you have to be a bully, in order to pass.

6. Sometimes you get bullied(what comes around, goes around).

7. Most important...there are some damn fast gals in some races. Don't let ego hurt you, trying to catch them.

• Like 1

Thank You.  It took me a while to find the thread again.  A mod moved it to MX riding??????  It's an offroad question.

motion for them to pass then sweep the leg when they pull up next to you.

kk.jpg

• Like 2

4. Beginner racing is a contact sport(even if unintentional)

I'm pretty almost all contact in C class racing is unintentional.

My last race we went 6 wide into a 180 corner that really only fits 3-4 comfortably, another guy and I were banging elbows, next thing you know I see his rear end go over..... I won!

• Like 1

I'm pretty almost all contact in C class racing is unintentional.

My last race we went 6 wide into a 180 corner that really only fits 3-4 comfortably, another guy and I were banging elbows, next thing you know I see his rear end go over..... I won!

My very 1st(and only C class) race...5 of us went into 90d left turn. We all went down. I managed to get up & out first. I have a 4 in. scar on my left butt cheek, from a foot peg. Rode the last 3 laps on a flat, for a 6th pl finish.
  • Like 1

My very 1st(and only C class) race...5 of us went into 90d left turn. We all went down. I managed to get up & out first. I have a 4 in. scar on my left butt cheek, from a foot peg. Rode the last 3 laps on a flat, for a 6th pl finish.

Sounds like some rough racing!

HOLD YOU'RE LINE

do not slow down just hold you're line and let them do the work.

I just did my first race and it was a hare scramble style 8hr team race. Most of the track was very tight and technical single track. All teams had a rider on course at all times so there were fast guys and beginners every lap.

I found that when I heard a rider approaching in a tight section, I would just find an easy pull off spot and get out of their way. The wide open sections I never got passed so on those I would just hold the line and listen for anyone behind me. Most people gave a little rev as they got really close, its also really easy to hear when someone catches you.