Sign in to follow this  

Anyone had the welded axle spacer break loose?

I needed to remove my rear tire and after cranking on the aluminum cap nut for awhile it seems that the axle must have broke the bond with the spacer nut.  I now have the axle with the cap nut. 

I guess I may have torqued the cap nut too hard or the axle seized.

Is this common? 

are you talking about the block on the clutch side of the bike that has the small lines on it for adjusting the chain on it? 

that is usually permanently attached to the axle?

Buy a new right hand side block, get a torque wrench. Put the right hand side block on with some red Loctite and only torque the rear axle to 60ft.lbs. like it says in the manual.

KTM gives you a torque spec sheet in the manual for a reason. Your bike will last much longer if you use it.

I keep my bikes for many, many years. I have never had this problem. Do you ever clean the threads on the axle and axle nut? You should also put a little grease on the threads to keep the galvanic corrosion from seizing the aluminum nut to the steel axle. It is that old dissimilar metals thing. I like to spray some WD-40 in the rear axle after every wash as well.

i think he's talking about this part i attached, which i broke on mine as well.  (from over torquing it.)

fortunately for me though i'm a cnc machinist so i made myself new ones.

and yes it is threaded on.  i put some red loctite on it when installing it.

i choke up on my axle wrench now as to not over tighten it.

IMG_3099.jpg

IMG_3100.jpg

IMG_3103.jpg

IMG_3104.jpg

IMG_3106.jpg