Sign in to follow this  

ktm phds bar mount system

Just picked a set up for my 450 and have two questions.. first when i tighten down the bar should i do all the way or until snug so it doesn't restrict the elastomers from doing what they should.. second is the green elastomer really necessary to buy or can i just stick with the stock yellow one?

There are torque specs for the clamps. If I recall correctly 16Nm. You also have to make sure that the gap between upper and lower clamp is the same in the front and in the back.

Alsomformme the green elastomeres where far better than the yellow ones.

I disagree. I apsolutly hate the green ones. Im not a fan of the phds. Their on my bike cause i bought them, i want a rg3 4 post rubber mounted clamp, but their not available to the public

Enduro enginerring make a top rubber mount system to go on std clamps

I disagree. I apsolutly hate the green ones. Im not a fan of the phds. Their on my bike cause i bought them, i want a rg3 4 post rubber mounted clamp, but their not available to the public

Have you had a look at the Ride engineering ones? Same thing, plus it has a solid top mount to stop em twisting, which happens all the time with rubber mounted bars.

On the other hand I love the ktm system with the green elastomers. Didn't realize how much until I got my 15 and my hands went numb five minutes into my first moto. If you don't want them, I'll buy em. They're on back order from ktm hard parts.

The PHDS kit is a great mod for bikes which vibrate the crap out of the bar. Works awesome on my 2 strokes, its kind of a pre-requisite in my view, especially with the green elastomers. However, for our modern 4 strokes which don't have much vibration at all, its a different world. Even with the green elastomers, the assembly doesn't have enough "floating" potential to help any big hits. The system simply bottoms out with the green or yellow elastomers. For crashing it does help a bit, I haven't bent a bar or broken a lever since installing the kit, which is a positive thing. I do run the PHDS kit on whatever bike I'm riding that given day, constantly switching it between my 4 stroke and 2 strokes which I switch platforms. However, having owned it, I wouldn't buy another one again.

The green elastomers are a must if you expect the kit to absorb anything.

Hand-tight is the critical element, they need to be practically loose, so 10 - 12nm at most.

for the same price, actually cheaper, just buy a rubber mounted top clamp. I bought a BRP top clamp, rubber mount with one piece top bar mount to help prevent twisting. $180 bucks, done. Now you have the same set up as the Jap bikes. The 2016 bikes will all come this way I hear.

for the same price, actually cheaper, just buy a rubber mounted top clamp. I bought a BRP top clamp, rubber mount with one piece top bar mount to help prevent twisting. $180 bucks, done. Now you have the same set up as the Jap bikes. The 2016 bikes will all come this way I hear.

Ya I got the ride eng one, seems good to me!

The PHDS kit is a great mod for bikes which vibrate the crap out of the bar. Works awesome on my 2 strokes, its kind of a pre-requisite in my view, especially with the green elastomers. However, for our modern 4 strokes which don't have much vibration at all, its a different world. Even with the green elastomers, the assembly doesn't have enough "floating" potential to help any big hits. The system simply bottoms out with the green or yellow elastomers. For crashing it does help a bit, I haven't bent a bar or broken a lever since installing the kit, which is a positive thing. I do run the PHDS kit on whatever bike I'm riding that given day, constantly switching it between my 4 stroke and 2 strokes which I switch platforms. However, having owned it, I wouldn't buy another one again.

The green elastomers are a must if you expect the kit to absorb anything.

Hand-tight is the critical element, they need to be practically loose, so 10 - 12nm at most.

pic1.jpg

Edited by maxamillion125
  • Like 1