Sign in to follow this  

Ideal Gearing for 2014 450 XC-W?

Hey Guys, 

I just got this thing. Its fun so far! I am doing a supermoto conversion, but I would like the bike to be able to do double duty (as best as it can). Ive attached a pic for fun :)

My SM wheels have a 45T rear sprocket, and the stock dirt sprocket is 52T. I had to shorten the chain a link and a half to allow the SM wheels to work, but in turn this made the chain too short for the 52T sprocket... which is my dilemma. 

I tried a 51T and no dice, so now my options are 50T and 49T. 

Is one of these gearing options ideal for off road? We mainly run single track and some mud excursions. 

Opinions? Im also open to anyone else's ideas since Im a noob. 

IMG_0790.jpg

The 500 exc is 15 45. I have gone to 14-48 for both. Great on the street and decent in dirt. Riding partner went with 13-48 dirt and it's a bit better, and 14-48 street. All of the above are on the stock chain. 50 or over on the wheel will need a longer chain. 14 - 52 is probably perfect for single track but a different chain. So I am living with 48 for now and clutching more.

• Like 1

I too am running 13/48 with the stock chain on the 500. Works great off road and still comfortable at highway speeds.

• Like 1

My 450 comes stock with 13/52, so going down to a 49 rear should allow me to use the stock chain. I just don't want it to lose too much grunt. Will I be fine?

Edited by Evo-L

The the difference between 13-48 and 14- 48 is like 3 teeth in the rear. I have ridden both and the butt can't really tell the difference. The 13 is just a smidge, slightly higher rpm.

• Like 1

I have a 2013, and have been doing mostly dual sport riding. I've set it up with 14/50 which works great in the woods, and lets me cruise over 70mph w/o ringing it's neck.

With a sumo set up you have to take into account that the 17"rear will act like it's geared even slower. An inch in wheel diameter is about equal to one tooth on the counter shaft sprocket.