Sign in to follow this  

Narrowing down the issue!

Ok so as some of you know I was having issues with the cable that came off my starter, was heating up bad and starting to smoke when turn over was cold. Eventually when I went to start it I would push the button and get nothing. If I held in the button and gave the bike a smack near the ass end she would fire. That didnt last long and now I have no action when I push the button. I replaced the starter because the old one was no good. Still didnt solve the issue though. SO where I am now is I can turn the key on and start the bike by running a cable across the two screws on the starter relay. It fires right up. Does this mean that the starter relay needs to be replaced? My buddy Dave Chambers for a visit was over and thinks it may be the signal light relay FE249JR being as its also the ignition relay, whos bright idea was it to combine those hahaha. Before I go and spend 75 bucks on a starter relay, or $100 bucks on a signal light relay can anyone tell me how to test these??

Thanks for your help!!

Easy to check.

With the cover off, place a finger (and an ear close) on the relay side. Key on, bike in neutral, clutch lever pulled in, hit the button, can you feel/hear the relay click? If so, it is probably a bad starter relay. If not, you need to check the side stand switch, clutch lever switch, neutral switch amoung others.

Truth be told, I have never heard of the safety relay (same relay package as the turn signals, it is a shared package and no electrical interconnection) failing. Clutch switches and starter relays I have seen fail. If you think it mis the clutch switch, just bypass it by ollowing the wires, unplugging the switch behind the head light then plug the two wires from the hyarness into each other.

No need to replace an interlock relay.  Test the starter relay.  Un-plug the 2 wires.  Ground 1 and apply 12 volts to the other.  if the relay fails, its the relay.  if the relay works, it's the control circuit to the relay.  Could be in the push button, wires, clutch switch, interlock relay, siestand or neutral switch. Switches can be easily bypassed if needed.  What is the current status if the sidestand switch and clutch switch?

• Like 1

The side stand switch and the clutch switch have been disabled.

I dont ever here anything click from the starter relay, when I turn the key and push the switch I here a click coming from the Interlock relay and the relay that was installed for the HID head lamp.

I did, while on speaker with my friend Mike Reiter, run jumper wires over everything and he said it didnt make sense because when I jumper the yellow/black and the orange in the back of the interlock relay the bike should fire. I ran a secondary yellow black all the way to the starter relay and nothing. Noe that I think about it though what if the black/white wire coming off the starter relay was broken somewhere. I am going to have to check that first thing tomorrow!!