Sign in to follow this  

Drz400k charging problem.

So a few weeks ago I was riding my drz400(k) at night when my lights dimmed out. Went home and looked up a few things online. Replaced the gegulator right away thinking that would fix the problem. The stator was only putting out 6 ac volts. Nothing to ground on O. So I got myself a new stator in the mail today. Did the swap and everything went fine. Kicked it over and still the same exact thing is happening. 6 ac volts and dim lights. I don't understand what could be wrong at this point. Any help would be great. Did all the tests between phases and it's all the same numbers from old to new stator and regulator.

So a few weeks ago I was riding my drz400(k)---- You are telling us this is a kick start only motorcycle right?  Not year code K.

at night when my lights dimmed out. Went home and looked up a few things online. Replaced the gegulator----regulator I assume.

The stator was only putting out 6 ac volts.------How did you test that?  Where did you connect the test leads? Sounds like perhaps the capacitor is not connected or not functioning.

Nothing to ground on O.------??? lost me here.

So I got myself a new stator in the mail today. Did the swap and everything went fine. Kicked it over and still the same exact thing is happening. I see

6 ac volts and dim lights.-----The regulator will go into full regulation if it does not see a load on the system. 

I don't understand what could be wrong at this point. -----Neither do I.  You will have to tell me exactly how you are taking this reading?

Did all the tests between phases and it's all the same numbers from old to new stator and regulator. ------What test procedure?  The electrical test procedure posted here on TT under FAQ?

2001-drz400 KICKSTART. Yes my regulator and stator are new but the problem is still the same. It's the same test on every post about this stuff. From the back of the 3 pin plug from the the stator. 1-2/ 1-3/ 2-3 it only reads 6 ac volts. If I do the same as an ohm test the numbers are consistent and there is nothing to ground. If I bring up the RPM the volts seem to drop or stay the same.

You have to unplug the stator from the RR.  Then test for AC volts.  With the RR connected the RR is pulling the AC voltage down.  I still would not expect to see only 6 volts but I think that is just telling me the RR is at full regulation.

Of course now I see the problem.  A kick start only model will not run with the stator disconnected.  So disconnect the stator from the RR, hold the compression release down and kick several times while a second person reads the volt meter.  I'll bet you can kick 30 volts AC or more.

I suspect the capacitor is bad or disconnected or a shorted wire some place.  No fuse in a kick only model electrical system so a short does not show itself as a blown fuse.

Ah I understand what you mean and can see how that would work. I guess I'll have to do some wire clean up and look around at some some things. I do have a baja designs kit. The wiring was not in the best condition when I got the bike so it may take some rewiring. I just hope it's something I can find. Now knowing it's not a major problem.

Little by little the picture unfolds.  The addition of a Baja Designs lighting kit adds a whole new list of potential problems.

I have the same exact problem and now I'm stuck/ clueless as well. New generator and Reg/ rectifier. So could use some help; did u find the issue?? Thanks.

As this is a 2 year old thread you are not likely to get an answer from the original poster. I suggest you start a new thread and tell what exactly your problem is, what you have done for testing, results, modifications, etc.  You have a kick start only DRZ400? Battery added to the system? Dual sport kit?  Brand?  Installed by whom? Capacitor in or out?...............