Sign in to follow this  

1979 XR 500 Clutch Issue

The clutch on my '79 XR 500 burnt out recently and I took to replacing it myself.  I've replaced all the plates, put the springs back in place, and put the pressure plate back on and now I'm running into an issue.  When I go to put the crank case back on, there isn't enough space between the inside part of the clutch arm and the ball bearing that disengages the clutch.  I've played around with different tensions on the springs and to get the case to go back on easily, there's entirely too much tension on the clutch itself.  Alternatively, to get it to where there's just enough tension on the clutch to get it to disengage, there's not enough room to screw the cover back on.  I'm seriously stumped.  I've confirmed that, when loose enough, the clutch does work and disengage properly.  I'm fairly new to dirt bike repair, so it's entirely possible that I just didn't set something right when I put the clutch back together.  Any ideas would be greatly appreicated. 

Ain't there a little ball and arm or something that supposed to be popped together?

I have no clue. I just replace plates usually and never had an issue. Make sure everything looks like it's together correctly and set where it's supposed to. Maybe adjust your clutch so it's engaged or vice versa.

That bike's an antique lol. I bet it runs like it did the day it was new. Can't ever kill them...