Sign in to follow this  

2014 350RR Factory

Just wanted to compare notes with other owners.

Just got mine last week.  Taking it out this Sunday on the trails. 

IMAG04082_zps67352ae7.jpge

• Like 1

I've been out a few times and it is a blast to ride. It is amazing how it will lug up hills. Kinda finicky about electric starting. Dealer advised using kick starter and the magic button at the same time, at least until it is broken in and it helps a bunch. Next to impossible to just kick start it.

Mine fires right up cold and hot  with the e start.  Maybe jetting is off slightly. Try turning the fuel screw out a little on the bottom of the carb. It may be lean off idle causing your starting problem. 

• Like 1

I've been out a few times and it is a blast to ride. It is amazing how it will lug up hills. Kinda finicky about electric starting. Dealer advised using kick starter and the magic button at the same time, at least until it is broken in and it helps a bunch. Next to impossible to just kick start it.

A friend got one to replace a 2012 ktm 350 and he's absolutely happy.

He had problem with a crankcase (a little hole on the top) after 40 hours but he send the bike at the factory and got it back with a completely new engine...

I picked mine up on Friday and took it to a Moto track on Sunday for a quick break in. Only put about 25 fairly easy miles on it.

1. Motor is powerful and revs smothly. Way better bottom and mid that ktm 350's I've tried. Since it's new I didn't rev it out but it seemed very "free" and felt eager to run up top.

2. Suspension felt great. Supple on small stuff but also soaked up jump landings and even went strait and fast through whoops.

3. Bike is beautiful. People drooling on it all day.

4. Jetting was close. I run 100 octane and had pulled the spark arrestor out. I'll let it break in a bit more before determining perfect jetting.

5. The map switch didnt seem to do anything. When I got home I inspected the connection and it was very loose so I don't know if it was working. Does anyone know what map does what? Also, when the button is pushed in on map 2 is that on or does the button out on map 2 select map 2?

6. I think I could make the clear 2014 2-stroke tank fit with some heat gun work but it would be a little extensive for head clearance on the left side. Bike seemed to get good milage so I'm sticking with the stocker for now.

Overall I'm very impressed with this bike. I've been on 2-strokes since about 2009 but couldnt be happier with the build quality and performance. I'll need to get it out in the woods before I can give you all an in depth review.

Edited by tnttimber
  • Like 1

I had a 300RR and since I don't compete, the 350RR has proven a better bike for me.  Years ago you couldn't give me a 4 stroke, but this bike is the real deal for me.  The 300 was a good bike and I was getting on to it, but I had ordered the 350.  I thought I made a mistake at first, but the more I ride the 350, the more I like it.  I also like the fact that you can engine brake down hills and keep the brakes cooler.

Broke mine in on Sunday too.

20 miles of  2 track and 15 miles of single track.  I will list my hates first to get them out of the way.

Seat is ridiculous.  If you like hemorrhoids keep that seat.  A brick would be better.

Tires are about as bad as they come.  I was riding mostly dry slick with loose rock and dust on top and the bike never found traction.  I looked at the tires closer and realized these Michelin Enduros are DOT and FIM approved.  Junk must be removed immediately.

Boot grip section on my SG12's melts on FMF power bomb header.  Need a heat shield on the header big time.

Graphics peeling off from gripping bike with my legs.  This one is just cosmetic but your best bet is to peel off the graphics on the air box cover or you will get the adhesive all over your pants.

The rear chain guard is a flimsy piece that wears on the chain.  Take that thing off before your first ride.

Bars are funky.  My left hand kept falling asleep from the weird bend.  Preference thing but they will be swapped for some Renthal Fat Bars CR or Kawasaki Bend before next ride.

The engine:

You have read the companies that claim 450 power with 350 size.  Well this engine comes close.  Pulls off the bottom with impressive amounts of torque.   Revs pretty steadily with no real hit.  Pretty linear, which is good for an off road bike, that revs well.  Compared to KTM350XCF and SXF this Beta is much better in the engine power department.  This is riding in MAP 1.  Switch to MAP 2 and the bottom end flattens out and the bike feels more like a KTM but I think that is the slippery condition mode.  I did not like MAP 2 in the dry conditions.  This engine is way more powerful than my 2008 400RR was.  Not much of a comparison but this 350RR is a good engine that will put a smile on your face.  Popped stalled more than I thought I would, but it fires right back up.  Usually stalled between short sections from corner to corner where hard throttle then hard braking is required.  If I put in a Rekluse I bet this goes away.  I've had a Rekluse in my last 4 bikes and will probably put one in this 350.  Engine braking is way light.  Compared to my KTM powered 400RR this engine braking is way lower.  Not 2 stroke low but close. 

Chassis:

Similar to my 2008 but is more stable than that model.  You can hit the inside line real easy or square off berms if you keep the power on.  I had a hard time coming hot into corners with the terrible tires but could slide it and counter steer it through bermed corners pretty well.  The handling is pretty good and it feels lighter than most four strokes.  I used to ride a 2007 KX250F bored to a 290 (Hence my user name) and this bike comes close to the weight feel of that bike.  This bike is better at turning than the KXF and my last 2 stroke bike 2012 KTM250XC.

The suspension needs some works but it may be set for a slightly heavier rider.  I weigh 165 and the initial stroke was some what harsh.  Took clicks out and the middle stroke felt harsh.  If I keep the compression at 7 clicks in it felt good at speed hitting rollers but the root and rock feel suffered on low speed stuff.  This is just a thing I need to spend time on changing preload and clickers to get it closer.  The SACHS shock works pretty well.  The only place you need to watch it is off rollers .  If you go over them without throttle it kicks you in the ass.  You have to load the suspension  with a little throttle going over rollers like water bars.  Aggressive riding makes the suspension feel better.  This bike is not setup for a casual trail ride.  The suspension is for the rider that needs to soak up stuff at speed.  As I went faster the bike felt better.  Only problem was as I got going faster trying to stop was a problem with the tires.  

Brakes are top notch.  The Honda style Nissins are hard to beat and you can get a variety of pads for these brakes.  No problems with brakes at all.  Modulate perfect and plenty of stopping power.  Comes with Sintered Metal pads which is what I prefer.  

Overall good bike.  I can't claim best bike I've ever owned because I've had a lot of them, but out of the box pretty damn good.  I will be tweaking things here and there and will post more after this next weekends ride.

Edited by KX290F Pilot
  • Like 1

I had the dealer put on the soft seat before I picked it up. Tires aren't much of an issue for me out here in the Midwest.

Picked up my 350 today! Taking her out to break it in tomorrow. Are you guys all using Motul? Im coming from a 2007 KTM 400 XCW. I used Shel Rotella in it for 400 hours with out a single problem. is there a stainless oil filter available yet? 

The 350 Factory uses the same oil filters as the older style engines, so yes there are stainless filters available.

I've been able to kickstart the 350 Factory we have easily, if deliberately. A nice steady stroke is all it takes to get this one lit, even with only about 15 minutes of run time on it. In the past I could kick the 350s and 400s, but not the 450s ... I didn't even attempt the 498.

Picked up my 350 today! Taking her out to break it in tomorrow. Are you guys all using Motul? Im coming from a 2007 KTM 400 XCW. I used Shel Rotella in it for 400 hours with out a single problem. is there a stainless oil filter available yet? 

I use Motul in all my 4 strokes.  I wait for first 200 miles first before I put in the synthetic to make sure the rings seat well.  I like the 300V 10w-40 for the engine side after break in for the synthetic version and Motul gear box oil in the trans like I use in my KTM 250XC 2 stroke.  Lots of guys run Rotella 15w-40 with good results and I have also used that oil without any issues.  I will put 10w-40 conventional oil in for this first oil change in the engine and some Motul gear box oil in the trans.   

• Like 1

I thought engine braking was great, but I suppose anything is better than a two stroke in this area. Have any of you tried to kick start it?

Funny I have not used the kick start.  It fires up so easy with the magic button I have neglected to kick it.  In fact it does not even have a boot mark on the kick start yet.  I will try it out next time cold and hot during ride and let you know how it works.

Broke mine in on Sunday too.....

I disagree with you regarding tires and bars but this is fairly subjective according to each one's personal preferences.

For the suspension and especially the shock, I think that you'll need about 8-10 hours to have it run-in, perhaps then you will find it quite soft.

Chain guide, is mostly there for type approval, I always remove mine.

For the stickers, it pays if you 'll attack them with a heat gun (carefully). This way they'll last a season.

Good report, looking forward for updates :thumbsup:

Edited by dirtbird

Thanks 290 Pilot. Wish the mags did as good a job as you. :thumbsup:

Your welcome George.  Dirt mags?  What are those?  Trust me I will not gloss it over just because I spent a ridiculous amount of money on this bike.  I will keep you guys posted as I tinker with this one.  I have a set of Zoke 45's with 22mm triples and Zoke 50's with variable offset triples and KYB's off a KXF with 22mm triples.   I can bolt these on to this thing and give some comparisons on it eventually too.  Not sure I can fit the KTM WP 48mm Closed Chambers with out buying more stuff to fit them.

I use Motul in all my 4 strokes.  I wait for first 200 miles first before I put in the synthetic to make sure the rings seat well.  I like the 300V 10w-40 for the engine side after break in for the synthetic version and Motul gear box oil in the trans like I use in my KTM 250XC 2 stroke.  Lots of guys run Rotella 15w-40 with good results and I have also used that oil without any issues.  I will put 10w-40 conventional oil in for this first oil change in the engine and some Motul gear box oil in the trans.   

I will probably use rotella in both sides. Engine and tranny side. It worked in my KTM for 400 hours I don't see why i would't work in the Beta. May after the next oil change it to synthetic. If I do I will use maxima, belray, or Motul.  Oh and thanks for not bashing Rotella. We all know how the oil discussion usually goes and thank you for the advice! 

BTW I rode mine during a thunderstorm for break in and I loved every minute of it. My brother was with me and riding my 07 KTM 400. In a drag race(I know, it proves nothing but fun anyway) and the 400 would pull this bike every time. BTW the 400 has about 400 hours on it. That said this bike turns!! It loves to go fast and be pushed. As KX290F said, this bike is NOT setup for a casual trail ride. It is meant to ridden at speed and raced. I love it. Heading out to change the oil and loosen the spring pre load on the forks.