Sign in to follow this  

Brp running hot

Okay so I just finished doing a top end rebuild and carb conversation. I had cylinder bored out to 102mm and I am running a 9:1 JE piston all new valves stock cam and I have a 37 mm fcr carb off 2004 crf250r jetting is 42 pilot and 152 main mix screw out 2 1/4 turns @ about 1500' above sea lvl I live in kansas and I'm running 87 octane uni air filter and stock muffler decorked. (DG exhaust on the way) It is hard to start but when I give it a shot of ether it fires right up but after running just for a few minutes header got red hot and it back fired 2 or 3 times. I don't wanna break anything having just doing a top end I immediately shut it off seeing how the header was red hot. I did take off all the coating that was one the header to paint it with vht header paint but it just burnt off. What could be causing it to run so hot? Could it be the 87 octane fuel? And or the jetting too lean?

Take the plug out and have look - bets its nearly white.... would humbly suggest it is running way too lean