Sign in to follow this  

99 kx 125 kickstarter won't spring (pivot)?

Hi Guys,

Been lurking for a while but I just made an account.. is there an introduction forum anywhere?

Anyway this is for a 2001 kx 125 that I'm rebuilding. It didn't come with a kick-start lever so I had to buy a second-hand one from ebay, which is off a 99 model. Only problem is the spring inside the lever assembly seems to be toast because it doesn't pivot very well. Ie. if I put it on the bike and kicked it, it would not snap back in-line with the tank, it would just hang off the side of the bike sticking out to the right. It's really tight and not springy at all, its difficult to even pivot it to the right in order to kick it. I'm trying to figure out whether it can be fixed or if I will have to buy another one.

My question is: Is it as easy as just taking the assembly apart and giving it a good clean, getting all the grime out that has settled in over the years (And maybe replacing the bearings)?  Or is it beyond repair and am I gonna have to buy another? I couldn't find much information about this on the internet.

Here is the microfiche for the part:

U97vofH.jpg