Sign in to follow this  

Fork Tube Height

I was just windering how everyone elses fork tube heights were set? I got my bike about a month ago and the fork height came set about 1/2in above the top clamp and this is how I see it set in most pictures but when I looked in the service manual it says to set them flush with the top clamp.

Also I can see some marks on my fork tubes that looks like the fork height was set flush at one time. 

Just curious if mine its correct or if I sould adjust it.

IMG_20140815_230418.jpg

IMG_20140815_230436.jpg

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Mine where set flush when I bought mine I have seen people set there's higher then what you have

Having you fork tubes flush with the top triple clamp make the bike more stable at high speed (less headshake) The position you have yours set at are quite a neutral position, common with many riders. The higher or lower you have the forks through the triple clamp will vastly affect the overall handling of the bike. The higher they are through the clamp, the quicker turning the bike will be (but less stable at high speed), whereas the lower they are through the clamp (eg flush with the clamp), the bike will turn slower, but be more stable at high speed. Next time you're put riding on a familiar track or area, try experimenting with different fork heights, but make sure you always use a torque wrench (set to the clamp torque specs), as over-tightening of the pinch bolts will cause a harsh feeling throughout the stroke. You'll soon find a setting you're comfortable with, and you'll be glad you experimented with them. Hope this helps.

• Like 4

Thanks for the help guys. Now I'm hesitant to adjust them at all because I kinda like the way the bike handles now lol, but I guess I'll try experimenting and see how significant the change is, If I don't like it I can always change it back.

I just had a quick follow up question. I adjusted the fork height to be flush with the top clamp and so far it seems fine but when I had the front tire off I noticed that when I rotate the fork leg on the right fork I hear what at first I thought was a grinding noise and then noticed had kind of a vibration sound to it similar to when I rotate the rear spring to adjust preload. The left fork didn't make any sound at all when I rotated the leg. I remembered the 250l only has a spring in the right fork. So my question is, is it normal to hear a spring noise in the right fork when you rotate the fork leg or is it something nice should be concerned about?

I just had a quick follow up question. I adjusted the fork height to be flush with the top clamp and so far it seems fine but when I had the front tire off I noticed that when I rotate the fork leg on the right fork I hear what at first I thought was a grinding noise and then noticed had kind of a vibration sound to it similar to when I rotate the rear spring to adjust preload. The left fork didn't make any sound at all when I rotated the leg. I remembered the 250l only has a spring in the right fork. So my question is, is it normal to hear a spring noise in the right fork when you rotate the fork leg or is it something nice should be concerned about?

You may have tightened the right fork clamp too tight. An overtightened clamp will cause the fork tube to pinch up and bind, causing a harsh feeling midway through the stroke. That might be the issue, but otherwise I can't help you there sorry.