Sign in to follow this  

Thank You!

I haven't posted in a while since my DRZ has been living a comfortable life on the road with supermoto wheels & hasn't been beat on since I have been beating on a GasGas Pampera 280 in the trails for the last year. I had to do a bunch of things to bring the DRZ up to Hawaii's more strict safety inspection laws this year, so I figured it was time for some neglected maintenance.

Because of the awesome info on this forum, when I bought the bike used (2005 MY) in 2006, I removed the swing arm, cleaned & greased all bushings & bearings & put anti seize on the swing arm bolt. When I went to remove it the other day (8 years of Hawaii mud, sand, clay & water) it slid right out with some light tapping! There was still plenty of grease in all the bearings as well. I was amazed! Thanks again!

• Like 1

Good stuff.... :thumbsup: ......btw..what's tough about your local inspection laws...?

Like most here do, since I dual sported my DRZ before getting the GasGas, I lightened it & set it up for trails with the bear minimum of DOT requirements. My small local motorcycle shop usually passed me with my mods but he currently isn't doing inspections (Probably because of the changes) so I had to go shop around. This year, for all motor vehicles, safety inspection stations need to qualify with the state for their new system & use an iPad with the states system to take photos & document everything. I think, that way there is no leeway for us on the bleeding edge of legal to say that it passed inspection as is if we get stopped by police or in an accident & deal with insurance inspectors & lawyers.

I have turn signals in my hand guards & fender mounted smoke colored DRC flush mounts on rear with integrated turn signals in my DRC tail light as well. None of that passed this year. I had to put back the OEM turn signals. I had to add yellow reflectors on front & red on rear & replace the chain guard. Good thing I kept the chain guard & aluminum mounts I had snapped off so I could epoxy them back on & install the guard. My SM Contiforce tires didn't have a deep enough rain groove in them to pass (They were never that deep to begin with) so I swapped back to my S wheels with more meat on the tires. I still use the gutted OEM headlight & have good dual sport mirrors but I bet that would have been a problem if they weren't up to code. 

I think thats it. I already removed the reflectors & may keep the chain guard & the turn signals on since I only use the bike currently on the road. Turn signals are quite a sight now. I AM TURNING! I did pass with Nuetech Tubliss liners (Not sure if he noticed) & left hand rear brake though (I had to tell him since he drove it into the shop). Go figure.

• Like 1