Sign in to follow this  

Magura Hydraulic Clutch on KX250 2012 Review

Just thought i would give a small review of the Magura Hydraulic Clutch for the Kx 250 2012 

First of all I decided to go for the Magura as I could not get a Rekluse Z start pro for the kx 250 as they now only do the EXP model clutch's which i dont like. The next option was to get a hydraulic clutch so i could have  a lighter pull.

i am getting older and my joints in my fingers dont seem to like the standard cable clutch's which makes riding become a bit of a pain.

Anyway there is no agents in South Africa so i had to buy it online and after 2 weeks wait got it yesterday.

When I opened the package I must say i was disappointed due to the box been squashed and when opening the box found no protective foam or anything just an empty box with the clutch kit dumped in, after paying nearly $400 US I expected a bit more.

The Clutch kit comes with a lever and master cylinder with hydraulic piping, slave cylinder and connector for the end of the cable.

Fitting the system is straight forward just remove existing perch and cable and fit the Magura Perch and line and slot in the slave cylinder, a couple cable ties to keep everything neat and its done.

The slave cylinder is small and is out of harms way unless you maybe fall in rocks it may take a knock (hope it never happens)

The lever is adjustable for people with shorter or longer fingers and the level can bend outwards in the case of a fall.

I will probably replace the lever with a renthal intelli lever to match the brake lever 

The clutch pull is very smooth and much softer than a standard new cable.

I have been running a drilled lever to make it a bit softer but the negative is that you dont get full clutch disengagement with the drilled lever. The Magura is about as soft as the drilled lever with the full movement and disengagement of the clutch.

Just rode the bike in the yard last night and am very happy so far with it.

Will give it a proper test tomorrow and report back on it.

So far it has been a worthwhile investment.      

• Like 1

Had a good ride yesterday, about 2 hours on the bike riding fast and very technical terrain , the clutch worked flawlessly, I am very impressed with it.    

Had a good ride yesterday, about 2 hours on the bike riding fast and very technical terrain , the clutch worked flawlessly, I am very impressed with it.    

Sounds good, think I'll get one myself.

what dont you like about the exp? i just recently put one on my 11 and love it. we have z start pro on quad and i like the exp more than that setup, no balls or specific oil

My 450 had the Z start in and the clutch pull was extremely soft, didnt have to run specific oils and it lasted me about 400 hours on the same clutch plates and needed adjustment only once, i sold the bike and the new owner is still using it, the moving parts are much bigger on the Z start so will last a lot longer with less maintenance.  

The cheaper EXP clutch pull is very hard compared to standard the more expensive one is better and they need constant adjustment if riding hard, working parts are very small so will need more maintenance.